close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Learning somthing new everyday.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by CC Glock, Feb 28, 2010.

1. CC Glock

CC Glock

Watched a guy shoot a Glock on youtube. Cant believe i hadn't thought about it before, after he would shoot he would only let the trigger out enough for it to reset instead of letting it all the way out. Im sure alot of yall already do this but i dont but will be trying it this weekend for sure.

2. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

Try it, you'll like it.

3. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

You should do this with any firearm you shoot, pistol or long gun, regardless of brand.
    :wavey:

4. CC Glock

CC Glock

so im guessing it works for you? Didn't know if it might cause some mechanical problems?

5. jlc767

jlc767

Yeah, I haven't tried this yet either. Honestly, I need to work on my grip and aiming before I start any sort of rapid fire... :)

6. CC Glock

CC Glock

Well i cant do it with my 700. lol

How am i just finding out about this.
    How long have you been practicing this method?

7. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

If your trigger spring ever breaks, you will have to hold the trigger back while the slide cycles, or it will not reset.

8. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

It's pretty much the most basic part of proper trigger control, no matter what gun you shoot (although there are more advanced alternatives). It is normally referred to as "riding the reset."

9. Fire_Medic

Fire_Medic Polymer Butcher CLM

Since 3 years ago when I bought my first handgun a G19, I was taught this method and the FBI and many other agencies teach this technique, it's not new. I have no experience with a 700, but it works like a charm with my pistols and my AR.

10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Yes, you can do it with your Remington 700, there just isn't much pretravel to take up, so it doesn't make a noticeable difference. It's most important with guns that have a lot of unnecessary trigger travel, like double action and striker fired autos.

Honestly, folks, if you are reading this and realizing that you pull the trigger through from start to finish for each shot, it's time to get some training.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  11. CC Glock

CC Glock

Why would you want to shoot a gun with a broken trigger spring. Can shooting this way cause the spring to break....i dont see how it could but i dont know.

12. KiloBravo

KiloBravo NRA Life Member

I have only been shooting a Glock for a little over a year now, but that is the first thing I was taught. I had shot MANY other different types of firearms, but never a Glock. That little trick is super handy and it does make it much easier (at least for me) to maintain good trigger control during a course of fire.

13. CC Glock

CC Glock

How am i going to do this with a 700 when i have to take my finger off the trigger to chamber another round?

14. ravenkeeper98

ravenkeeper98 NRA Benefactor

Shooting that way will not break the spring. A lot of people prefer to hold trigger back, as do I. Was giving out some gee-wizz info. Nice to know that if you had to, your gun would still function with a broken trigger spring. Also helps trouble shoot a malfuction, trigger does not reset unless you hold trigger while the slide cycles = broken trigger spring.

15. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

You are correct, assuming you shoot a bolt action rifle that requires your strong hand to work, you would have to do that. Didn't think about it. However, but for working the bolt, the trigger works the same.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  16. ambluemax

ambluemax

It has more to do with less finger movement to throw your shot off than rapid fire. True, its easier to shoot faster this way, but more importantly this method will give you a more crisp and predictable break (ie point of release of the striker) which will help you big time with accuracy. Many who stuggle with shooting glocks accuratly don't know about this technique.

17. dubels

dubels

There is just so much slack in the glock trigger because of the safety mechanism that it makes a very big difference. I honestly did not use it when I first got the Glock, I would just reset all the way, but after I replaced the 5lb trigger connector I started to feel the difference when I just backed off enough for it to reset. It helps a lot of accuracy even when you are not doing rapid fire.