Learned to drive in a ........

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by ActanonVerba70, Sep 30, 2020.

1. GWG19

GWG19

1966 Toyota pick up with three on the tree.

gary_boom and ActanonVerba70 like this.
  2. rangerhgm

rangerhgm NRA Member

54 Plymouth, 3 on the tree

3. NH Trucker

NH Trucker

The first powered "vehicle" I operated was a Craftsman riding lawn mower when I was 10. By the end of that summer, I was mowing the lawns of half the homes in the neighborhood for extra cash.

Fast forward a couple years, and my father (when drunk) thought it was a great idea to have me drive his boat one day when we were on a river. His boat was a 19 foot Eliminator Daytona jet boat with a supercharged 454 and nitrous. I was just cruising down the river at around 30 mph when another boat passed us. My father told me to let them get a little further away, then push the throttle all the way and hit the button on the steering wheel just before we caught up to them. We blew past that boat at 105 mph. Fun times at only 12 years old.

The first vehicle I drove on the road was my mom's 1990 Chevy S10 Blazer when I was 14. She never found out, but a year later she thought I was doing great for a "first time driver" when we went to a parking lot to learn the basics.

4. drumgod

drumgod

The first stick vehicle I drove was an 80s, right hand drive Toyota Corolla. Shortly after that I turned 16, picked up a '79 CJ5 from a farmer and drove it across three states. A friend had a clapped out C10 with three on the tree... I wouldn't mind having that now.

5. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

My Father used to put me on his lap and let me steer the Grand Torino around my grandparents little town while on vacation in Nebraska. I also used to watch the hands, feet and gauges of the bus driver taking me to school each day. Between those things and a general knowledge of mechanical things, I just kind of knew how to drive before I ever did it. The first time I drove a car was a success. It was a buddies Plymouth Sundance with a manual. I passed my drivers test in another friends Honda Civic hatch. It was silly. I could touch the back window. I obviously aced the parking test.

6. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

1954 Ford Customline.
    V8. Three on-the-tree.
    Black w/ blue interior.
    Dad bought that car, new, the day I was born.

Took my driver's test in a 1967 Pontiac Catalina 2+2.
    428 cu. in. w/ Turbo 400.

ActanonVerba70 likes this.
  7. M&P15T

M&P15T Well I'll Be Dipped!!!

1949 Buick Roadmaster 4 door. Might even be this one. Not a lot around like it anymore.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  8. The Shadow

The Shadow

My dad's 1960 Dodge stake bed work truck:

[​IMG]

That's not the actual one but one like it.

Terry

gary_boom likes this.
  9. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

My father had a company truck. Ford with three on the tree. We drove to a friend's house and they sat on the porch and had coffee while I drove around the 40 acre pasture for about an hour, learning to shift, stop smooth, back up...I practiced it all. When I was done I drove back to the house and picked Dad up and I don't recall him driving me anywhere again. I did the driving from then on.
    I didn't realize until later on that his eyes were failing him even then.

byf43 likes this.
  10. Hannie Caulder

Hannie Caulder Diva extraordinaire

I learned in Daddy's 1994 Chevrolet Silverado pickup. When I got my DL he gave it to me and bought himself a new one. I still drive it. Daddy is on his third pickup since then, and says he wishes he had kept the 94 and bought me a new one LOL. Daddy's truck takes a beating at the construction sites, because a lot of times one of his men borrows it and isn't always as careful as Daddy.

byf43 likes this.
  11. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

My dad's hobby is classic car restoration. One of my first cars was supposed to be an old 32 Chevy we got from a my grandma's brother's farm. He had literally hundreds of cars parked in the field. However, as it turned out, we finished a 1950 Olds first, and this got the nod. What a boat that was to drive. All the body work was done with lead. Maybe that explains why I have that God awful twitch....

12. ba27spider

ba27spider

My parents owned a late 60's VW bus that us kids learned to drive in. Stick shift of course. That van had so many quirks, virtually no heater, or defroster, and no a/c of course. I think it was one of the life experiences that taught us all to be better drivers and thankful of of modern creature comforts that we all take for granted.
    It had a probably 100k miles on it when they bought it, and the day my dad sold it the odometer had close to 250k on it, and the thing probably used two quarts of oil every hundred miles.
    I have no desire to own another for nostalgia sake. Kinda cracks me up to see one for sale and the amount of money they sell for.

13. chev1958

chev1958

I learned to drive in my mom's 1972 Mercury Capri with a four-speed, similar to this:

[​IMG]

But my first car was a 1967 Pontiac Bonneville four-door, automatic, with a 428, 4-barrel, similar to below but in dark green. Bought for $150. You could hide 3 bodies in the trunk!

[​IMG]

byf43 and ActanonVerba70 like this.
  14. 1eyedjack01

1eyedjack01

1950's something (Not sure about the year model) Chevy P/U, starter on the floor, three on the tree, 6 cylinder that was my Grandpa's farm truck. My Grandpa was a planter and my job was to bring him fertilizer or seed when he stopped the tractor at the end of a row.

I was 8 years old and had to pull the bench seat all the way forward to reach the pedals while leaning against the front of the seat. Had to use the stearing wheel and seat for leverage to push the clutch to the floor. Couldn't hold the clutch in for very long as my leg would start shaking and then give out, lol. Grandpa never fussed at me for killing the engine while letting the clutch out but would yell "come on son" from across the field if he heard me grind the floor starter.

I'll always remember the trust he had in me and his patience.

Budqweiser and ActanonVerba70 like this.
  15. sarge83

sarge83

I started driving at age 9 with my grandpa. He drove the family flower shop cargo van delivering flowers and the grand kids found an old wooden RC Cola crate in the back and we would set it between the driver and passenger seat in those old 1970's Ford Econoline vans. I would steer and push the gas pedal and he would brake and change lanes. All of my siblings learned to drive this way.

When I hit 16 I was itching to get hold of a car my Dad had bought from his brother who worked for GM in Detroit and had watched them assemble his 1977 Olds Cutlass Supreme, two door white with green top, velour interior, loaded and a 403 Rocket V8 motor that just sat in the driveway most of the time. I would have to drive my siblings to school as I went and Mom would take her car and Dad his work van. A month before I got my permit, he sold it to another uncle, I was crushed. I got to drive the 1977 Chevy Impala blue station wagon, Mom's car and she drove with him to work. It had a 350 in it and would fly, but still...

So I guess I learned to drive in an Ford Econoline van and 77 Chevy station wagon. I took my drivers test in a work cargo van, that was a Rosie O'Donnell to parallel park let me tell you!!!

16. napp32

napp32

I learned to steer and shift gears on a 1939 Studebaker. I was six years old and not tall enough to reach the pedals; so I would steer and shift while my Dad operated the pedals.

I was ten years old when I finally could reach everything. We had a 1946 Dodge at that time; so I suppose you might say that is when I actually learned to drive without help.

The actual Studebaker is shown in the pic....that is also the actual me, sitting on the hood....although, I was seven when this pic was taken.

John E Grand Bay AL 1944 (1).jpg

17. Budqweiser

Budqweiser

You look like a good friend of mine. Big ears and all.

18. jmohme

jmohme

I don't actually remember. Far too long ago but I do know it was probably an older than dirt farm truck and a 40's Ferguson tractor.

19. jmohme

jmohme

I don't actually remember. Far too long ago but I do know it was probably an older than dirt farm truck and a 40's Ferguson tractor.

First wheels of my own was a 69 F100. 240cid 6 and 3 on the tree.

20. glockhoarder

glockhoarder