close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

lean-to versus tent

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by bubbaturbo, Feb 19, 2006.

1. bubbaturbo

bubbaturbo

I have access to private land where I can hunt, fish, and camp. It is not my land. Sometimes I would like to go on short notice to camp and hunt with a minimum of equipment. I don't want to leave a tent standing full time because I don't think it will last. I know a lot of tents will go up really fast but what I am thinking of doing instead is putting up a semipermanent lean-to. I am thinking about using a couple of 8 foot treated 4x4s as uprights and going from there with some plywood and maybe a tarp. I would bank up some dirt for a fire in front and be ready to go at any time. Anybody ever do anything like this?

2. major

major Rejected member

No, but I have been thinking about building a little something like that in the woods. I, too, would love to hear from others who may have done this.

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Seen a lot of similar setups growing up in Michigan, and again when I lived down south. The biggest problem is the critters who decide to move-in while you're not there. Everything from various honking-big spiders to snakes to pack-rats to raccoons to rats to feral dogs/cats, etc. The tighter/drier you build it, the better "they" like it.

When my buddies and I did it, we just built and left a strong but loose-weave frame of leg-thickness branches, with about 1-to-2-square-foot holes in it. The big holes keep it loose enough that most critters won't consider it shelter, and so although they may pass through, they never stay. We brought a heavy cotton/canvas tarp (later in life, synthetic tarp) with us, and draped it over the lean-to frame, staked it down, built a fire, and were "home." Another tarp or plastic sheet for a groundcloth kept us dry if it rained hard enough to run across the ground.

Another nice feature of this type of half-ready shelter is that it doesn't draw a great deal of attention; most folks would walk by within 20 feet of it and not "see" it, and the ones that do find it usually won't mess with it. If I was doing it nowadays, I might use super-heavy-duty non-degrading cable ties to put it together.