Lead Reloads for G17???

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by tima1, May 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. tima1

tima1

Just want to ask Glockers if using hard cast lead reloads on my G17 would be safe for me and my gun??? Would appreciate any input from those who do and those who don't. For those who do, would also appreciate any tips on gun maintenance and cleaning. Thanks.

2. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

Using hard cast lead reloads is safe for your G17. Just make sure to get the reloads from a reputable reloader (Stronghand, True Weight) and clean your barrel every couple of hundred rounds.

Cleaning? Who needs to clean a Glock? ;f

3. ReccaH

ReccaH Let's Play

yup, the key word there is to clean the barrel more often than you used to. Enjoy your shooting!

4. mbclubph

mbclubph GREEN MINDED

5. brawnless

brawnless Junior Member

The issue with lead bullets in Glock is lead buildup due to the groove design. Excess buildup is dangerous. If you want to use lead, be sure to clean the barrel after firing a given number of rounds. The harder the bullet, the more rounds you can fire before the barrel needs cleaning.

One issue with using reloads in Glock is failure to extract properly. The reason is that Glock have a tighter chamber than some other pistols. If the reload have been used in a pistol other than Glock, there is the possibility that the case is a bit "bulged" leading to problems in feeding / extracting.

6. 9MX

9MX Rei!

Easily taken care of if your reloader uses an EGW sizing die;)

7. cebuboy

cebuboy toy soldier

is use lead reloads in glocks. for 9mm, the least leading i noticed is when i used slower burning powder and at lower velocities. around 1000 to 1100 fps using 124gr. lead heads. any faster than that leads to rapid lead build-up. and shorter case life. case resizing is also a must, glocks being military pistols have a looser chamber than them match grade stuff. remember to scrub the lead out every 100 rounds:)

for .45 caliber glocks, i have problems using local brass. the chamber is so unsupported that the brass bulges near the case head. have to find those rpa cases, they are the strongest cases that i have tried so far.

anyways, an aftermarket barrel will lengthen case life and lessen the lead scrubbing:) hope this helps

8. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

I thought it's the other way around. Glock brass have that distinct bulge that's why other guns that use them have feeding problems.

9. vega

vega

More prominent in 40S&W.

vega