Lead bullet info needed

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by shepheard, Feb 17, 2010.

1. shepheard

shepheard

I'm about to venture out and start shooting some lead slugs. The handguns will be a GP100, EAA 40 and a newly aquired PM7 45. I"ve looked around and can't make up my mind. I usually don't shoot real light loads but for target practice I don't shoot anything hot either. Should I be looking for a bullet with a higher BH? I hear there is less chance of leading. I've also heard there is more of a chance of leading due to the bullet not sealing properly. That's when the confusion set in. What do you guy's use and what velocity are you shooting them at? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->[​IMG]

2. 21Glock

21Glock

I was in your situation a few years ago. As I don't buy factory ammo anymore, I reload all mine ammo and have for the last 25 years. As far as lead slugs are concerned, I bought some basic casting tools from Midway are few years ago and haven't looked back. It's cheap, fun and easy to make your own slugs. If you can get wheel weights and some basic mixing alloy, you will always have slugs to shoot.
    I shoot average velocity .45 ACP slugs that have been dropped into a bucket of water right out of the mold and they are hardened and don't lead my Glock, either the factory or my Lone Wolf barrel.

3. fredj338

fredj338

The higher the pressure, the harder the bullet. That is the rule of thumb. You can shoot soft swaged lead bullets @ nominal pressures (like 38sp or 45acp) w/o leading if they are sized to 0.001" over groove size. If you are going to run 40s warm, 25K psi+, then a hardercast bullet will work. Where you can see leading issuees is using a hardcast bullet @ pressures below that, especially if undersized.