Glock Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked several people and cannot get a straight answer, but as a law enforcement officer, we are allowed to carry our own personal patrol rifles on duty at my agency. Several guys have SBRs and I am considering getting a new upper for mine. I work for an agency that is approximately 7 miles from the state line, which we have a lot of vehicle pursuits head towards. How would this work if any of us had SBRs with us and ended up in a pursuit across state lines? I understand that outside of a law enforcement capacity, that one cannot transport NFA items across state lines with the exception of suppressors without first notifying the ATF and getting the proper approval, but I cannot find anything anywhere that says anything about LE while on duty.

· Registered
251 Posts
I have asked several people and cannot get a straight answer, but as a law enforcement officer, we are allowed to carry our own personal patrol rifles on duty at my agency. Several guys have SBRs and I am considering getting a new upper for mine. I work for an agency that is approximately 7 miles from the state line, which we have a lot of vehicle pursuits head towards. How would this work if any of us had SBRs with us and ended up in a pursuit across state lines? I understand that outside of a law enforcement capacity, that one cannot transport NFA items across state lines with the exception of suppressors without first notifying the ATF and getting the proper approval, but I cannot find anything anywhere that says anything about LE while on duty.
I worked at a dept that's city limits was the Louisiana state line for 25 years. We had numerous pursuits across the state line and I never really worried about the dept issued SBS I had with me.. Never really ever thought about it, of course I didn't know a whole lot about NFA back then. My Chief that helped me register the seized shotgun to the dept was an ex ATF agent and never cautioned me about it.

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We have department SBSs and SBRs, which I could care less about. I was just more concerned about using a personal weapon while on duty. Thank you for your reply. This seems to be one of the possible disadvantages about working at a department right on the state line.

· Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are no exemptions for a on duty LEO with a personally owned NFA item. Simply fill out a 5320.20 every year stating that you will be crossing the state line at anytime from January 1 to December 31, according to an ATF agent I spoke with. He said the NFA branch will sign off on it.
Thank you sir!! Exactly what I was looking for!!

· Registered
35,060 Posts
There are no exemptions for a on duty LEO with a personally owned NFA item. Simply fill out a 5320.20 every year stating that you will be crossing the state line at anytime from January 1 to December 31, according to an ATF agent I spoke with. He said the NFA branch will sign off on it.
Sorry to horn in. Would that work for civilians as well?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.