close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lcr vs S&W 442

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Crisis, May 24, 2011.

1. Crisis

Crisis

So lately my interests have been leaning towards a snub nosed 38 for pocket carry, Ive been poking around the net for info on both the lcr and 442 and from what I have seen the lcr seems to be a tad bit favored among most shooters now before I run out and buy the lcr my question goes out to those who have shot both, do you prefer one over the other? if the lcr is your choice are the pros over the smith worth an $80 price difference(My local gun shop has the 442 for $339 and the lcr for $419)? and for those of you who have shot one and not the other how happy are you overall with the gun? thanks for reading

2. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I have owned a lcr and currently own a smith 642. IMO both are great revolvers, I think it just comes down to personal preferance. You need to handle both side by side and decide what feels the best to you. I loved the houge grip and the trigger on my lcr, but to it always had a cheap feel to me for some reason, idk why.

Now that I have my 642, the trigger doesn't feel as great as my lcr did, but it does feel like a more solid gun IMO. Both are great Shooters IMO, but with iny snubby you need practice. My vote goes for the 442, but it's up for you to decide, good luck.

A.J. :wavey:

3. highfructosecornsyrp

highfructosecornsyrp

I had an LCR for a little while. I couldn't hit anything with it so I traded it in for a rifle. If you plan on shooting it regularly, like I did, I would recommend getting one with a trigger. It's much easier to be accurate and that is more fun at the range. If you are strictly going for a belly gun, then the LCR rocks for that...

4. civileng

civileng

I jusr recently picked up a sw 360 from buds gun shop (483). It is my new edc. I carry 158 gr 357s in it. Ican carry it ALL of the time whereas my g26 was some to most of the time. I have not ever shot the lcr, but the sw trigger smooths out with use and actually becomes fun to shoot. I think the sw is a wee bit smaller as well which will helpif you pocket carry. My 360 has the faxtory grips which arent as tacky as the hogue which will also help if you pocket carry. Enjoy the thrill of the chase.

5. Happy Hunting

Happy Hunting

Did you mean to say hammer? I would hope he chooses a j frame with a trigger.

I agree if you meant hammer. Those tiny hammers wouldn't be too much of an issue to carry and it does make shooting targets more enjoyable.

6. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

I have a 642 and an LCR 357. They are both good pistols, for different reasons. The LRC has a better trigger and removable front sight, along with houge grips that lessen recoil and cover the backstrap. The 642 is lighter, more compact, less expensive, and it is a Smith. Both are good choices.

7. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

I vote for the 442. I have only handled the LCR in a gun shop, never shot one, but was not impressed.

I am very fond of my 442, and have been carrying it as a BUG/summer pocket carry for many years now.

8. Crisis

Crisis

Thanks very much for the replies guys, I appreciate the input. I'll be heading to the shop tomorrow to pick up one or the other, leaning towards the 442 but we'll see after I get each in hand. thanks again guys

9. Smashy

Smashy

My 642 came without a trigger. I've found it makes my ammo last a lot longer. :supergrin:

10. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

id prefer the one without the built in lock.

11. thisaway

thisaway

I have a 442 (no lock). I just do not like the feel of the LCR.

12. Bruce M

Bruce M

I would think the (new) Smith bodyguard revolver would be better comparison to the LCR. I prefer the (metal) j frame to either.

Your 360 is fun to shoot with full power .357's in it??

13. ctfireman

ctfireman

I like the trigger on the lcr, it's really easy to get it to the breaking point to feel like single action. But....there's nothing like a S&W revolver.

14. MLittle

MLittle

OK, I just can't understand how someone can review both revolvers and say they prefer one over the other if THEY HAVEN'T SHOT BOTH!!! Really........I have shot both side-by-side, so I can give my personal opinion. They both fit the hand well, are very light, but the trigger on the LCR is unmatched on the 442 (unless you have a trigger job done at additional cost). Also, the felt recoil is less on the LCR due to the soft Hogue grips and the polymer frame on the LCR I think helps greatly on reducing recoil. I did buy the LCR and have not been sorry after 1,000+ rounds. No problems, no flame cutting, not mechanical problems and no obvious wear to date. The 442 is a fine and time tested design, but I think the LCR wins hands down. Again, my personal opinion.

15. up1911fan

up1911fan

I've got a LCR and 642. I like the trigger better on the LCR and it has a XS front sight, so it's the one carried the most.

16. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

I hear Bloomberg wants to mandate that all handguns are manufactured without triggers, to reduce the chance of accidental (and, btw, intentional) firing to 0%. He says it's "for the children."

Edit: Oh yeah, on-topic, I have an LCR .357 and a S&W 637 (airweight .38 +p J-Frame with hammer. And trigger!) and while they're both great guns, the trigger on the LCR is superior to the DA trigger pull on the 637. I haven't fired them side-by-side because my daughter has appropriated the 637, but my memories of the 637 tell me I'm more accurate with the LCR. But I've had more practice with the LCR.

You're probably going to be perfectly happy whichever one you go with.

Nother edit: Note that the .357 has a stainless steel monolithic frame, not the aluminum monolithic frame of the .38 +P version -- it's about 3.6 oz. heavier, but less felt recoil and probably more durability when shooting .38 with it. Plus, "magnum" -- it will make you 10% more manly just by saying it. ;)

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  17. garyjandfamily

garyjandfamily

I've owned, carried and trained with a 442 for about 5 years now. I've shot the Ruger, probably 50 rounds. I like them both just fine, but here's my take -

The more I shoot a J-frame snubbie, the more convinced I am that they need a laser on board. I'm looking seriously at the new Smith with the built-in laser (possibly cheaper than adding a laser to my 442, depending on how much I can get for it)

My 0.02, worth everything that it cost you!

18. Dan

Dan

I really like my LCR, I find myself carrying it more often now.

19. JFrame

JFrame

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey, wait a minute... :headscratch: Don't give him any ideas! :shocked:

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  20. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

I have a 637 which is basically a 442 with a hammer. I really like my Smith and Wesson the trigger pull to me is smooth and not to heavy. Over all its Smith and Wesson Quality.
    I did look at the LCR but there where a few turn offs for me.
    Something that wasn't a turn off really but should be mentioned is the LCR didn't have as nice a trigger feel as the Smith and Wesson. I am told that is normal thought that Rugers normal don't have the best triggers. It was not as bad as a Glock are anything it just wasn't as smooth to me.

1. Was the fact its Polymer based its not a proven revolver material. yea it works great for making semi auto lowers but never seen a slide made out of Polymer.

2. Was price it was almost 50 dollars more to go with the LCR then the 637 or 442 (both smiths where the same price)

3. Google LCR flame cutting not sure if it was just earlier models but seem people reported really bad issues of flame cutting after about 500 rounds.

Overall I don't think you can go wrong with either just I want more time to pass before I jump into polymer revolver market.

If I was going to get a Polymer revolver thought it would be a Ruger hands down they stand behind there products just like Smith and Wesson.