close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LCP stored in a puddle of water for days

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by jdavionic, Jan 14, 2010.

1. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

My wife spilt water in her center console with her LCP. She didn't realize it for days (exact number is unknown). What a friggin nightmare! She has a crimson trace on it too.

There was surface corrosion in many places. The battery in the crimson trace had corrosion on it. The hammer, sear, springs, barrel, mags, bullets,...all had corrosion.

First I used compressed air and hit it everywhere. Then I used Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner, Q-tips, etc and cleaned everything that I could get to. I didn't disassemble the hammer / sear assembly or the firing pin assembly. I couldn't find detailed instructions. But I think I got everything.

I think soaked it in Eezox, hit it with compressed air again, and then did a routine cleaning.

It looks good now. But I want to watch it over the next week or so and look for signs of rust. The rust was very surface and no pitting. One of the magazines (the spare that just sat in water) had the most rust. But it looks pretty good after complete disassembly.

All of the Hornady CD rounds were removed and replaced.

Ugh! Unless I find some detailed disassembly instructions, I plan on sending it back to Ruger if I find more rust after a week or so.

2. Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

jda,

You should have just given it a quick clean and gone to the range. If it still shot fine then you know the LCP can take it if need be.

I'd shoot those Hornady rounds and see if they were affected. I bet not.

Deaf

3. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Yea, I saved the hornady rounds. I figured they would serve as good test rounds. I plan on hitting the range this weekend. I couldn't believe how extensive the rust was :faint:

4. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

If you're curious, the corrosion from minor to major was -

Least affected - actual gun parts (barrel, slide, hammer, mag release, etc)

Medium affected - Crimson trace the little screws were pretty rusted and the battery looked like crap

Most affected - magazines

5. yellolab

yellolab

Certainly would'nt trust my life on it anymore, not for only $300.

Kevin

6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I could take a picture of it now and it would look like a new gun. Honestly, the rust just started on the surface. I think ditching the gun altogether is a bit overkill in this case.

With that said, the reason why I cited the possibility of sending it Ruger was because if I see rust (and you can see the inners pretty well with a good flashlight), then I have a recurring problem and the parts should be replaced. For a gun that me or my loved ones carry, I'd much rather have the factory take care of it. LCPs are not like Glocks. They haven't been out there very long and there's not a lot of info to step you through disassembly beyond the field stripping.

7. yellolab

yellolab

damn it, I was going to offer you $50 forr it :) :)

Kevin

8. bob_fuller

bob_fuller

wow... that's quite intense.

9. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

10. mad.gunsmith

mad.gunsmith NRA and GSSF Life Member Silver Member

i have one i will like to know how it goes after few weeks

11. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Spilt water?

Sounds like saltwater to me. Either that or that pistol is a real wuss.

12. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Gee, if the firearm was in a holster, on person where it should have been in the first place, this wouldn't be an issue now would it? :whistling:

13. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Before I cleaned it up, the laser worked which was a real surprise when I looked at the inside. And once I got it cleaned up, everything still worked fine.

14. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

No, it was just bottled water. But a gun sitting in water & in a car for days is not good...I don't care what gun you have.

15. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Geez, tell me about it. She is getting better and I'm trying to be very patient. It took a very long time for her to reach the point of getting her carry permit, getting a gun, and "carrying" a gun. She does take it with her. But there are times where she gets involved in activities where she cannot carry and then she just keeps it in the center console...where I carry any time that I can.

16. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I'll let you know. I plan on taking a couple of pics of the suspect areas over the weekend. And then if I see rust develop, I will take additional pics to show the areas.

17. J.R. Bob Dobbs

J.R. Bob Dobbs Nerd

My concern would be with every wire-spring in the gun. If they get even a spec of rust it can lead to premature breakage of the spring. If you did not detail strip, I'd do it and replace if there is any question, springs are cheap but essential.

18. bklynpete

bklynpete Viet Nam Vet

Why take a chance, I would send it back to Ruger. Rust doesn't only affect parts that you can see and get to. In the past, I have heard great things about Ruger's customer service. Let them inspect the weapon, put it back to 100%, and life will go on as usual.

19. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

I called Ruger today and spoke with a technician. I told him what happened & what I did. He said you did exactly the right thing. He had me check some areas. Based on that, he said there was no need to send it in. He said shoot it before carrying it again. If it has any cycle issues, send it in. He recommended getting rid of the mags, citing that they will likely continue to rust.

20. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

Here are some post cleanup pics -

Here is the entire gun assembled.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]