close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LCD vs. Plasma TV's??

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ffemt30, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ffemt30

ffemt30

Looking to buy a tv either LCD or plasma.

Can anyone give any insight on which is better in ways and why?

I heard that plasma tv's are no longer like they were before in that they don't last as long. I heard the new ones are pretty good.

Thanks for your thoughts...

2. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I still prefer a nice flat-tube CRT myself :p

I thought LCD's were the ones with a very short life-span...like 4 years or so?

3. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

Plasma's are the ones with the short life span IIRC. you might want to check out www.avsforum.com I was directed there from someone on this board in the past and its worked out for me with all my recent HDTV questions.

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Link doesn't work :(

5. LoWRyDa

LoWRyDa Homercles

fixed, it was reading that comma as part of the URL.

6. JMag

JMag

In fact, many plasma manufacturers boast a life span of 60,000 hours to half life! This is a longer life than a tube based television. The specification is somewhat suspect since the process of determining longevity of the product is based on deductive mathematical calculation of phosphor dissipation, and does not take into account the electronic components and the myriad of problems that can occur. Panasonic was the first to claim the 60,000 hour life span, up from a previous 30,000 just a year prior.

Within months after Panasonic announced this new life span, other manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon announcing that their plasma television is now rated to 60,000.

So how long will a plasma last? The long and short of it is that it depends upon your daily hourly usage as well as how you use the monitor. 12 to 55 years is my new short answer.

(from: http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-lifespan.html

Plasma v. LCD

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasma-vs-lcd.html

Tossup they say; you'll pay more for LCD, however.

7. b0b4f377

b0b4f377

Plasma good points:

They are better than when they first came out, but are far from perfected.

Better black levels - shadows and dark spots stand out more on plasma's than LCD's.

Plasma bad points:

Shorter life than LCD's, the plasma gas leaks out over time and can't be refilled.
    Unless you buy a special plasma (one that's not found in most retail stores), you HAVE to keep it upright at all times. It can ruin the TV if you don't.

Good things about LCD's:

Not hard to fix if something does go wrong.

Bad things about LCD's:

They don't get much bigger than 40 inches; after that, they become LCD projection tv's. Plus, the bigger the LCD, the more it costs in comparison to a plasma. Although, Sony's SXRD LCDP's have a great picture, but that's a different debate.

Both have high contrast ratio's and great viewing angles, up to 178 degrees.

FWIW, I work at Sears selling this stuff. Personally, I'd recommend the Samsung LN-S3251D for a 32" LCD, there's a 40" version as well. Best looking LCD picture. And either a Samsung or Panasonic plasma. Two plasma's with a great picture, and names to back them up. Have fun shopping around and good luck!

8. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

Get a hybrid like I did...a LCD projection. Check out the Sony Grand Wega line. I am delighted with my 50" so far. The consumable cost is about $200-$300 ever 2 to 3 years for a new bulb and I fully expect the price on those to drop by the time I need my first one. I paid $1300 for the TV itself.

Greg