Ruger LC9

Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by Deputydave, Dec 6, 2017.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Just bought an LC9 from a retired Deputy that use to work with my agency. Said it had maybe 200 rounds through it. I am not 'up' on the Ruger LC9 pistol as far as it's several different models. This one is marked on the box as LCR with a serial # of 321-xxxxx. It is a hammer fired model with a thumb safety. Came with one magazine which I understand is Ruger's norm.

I've ordered a couple more magazines and will likely order a fourth. I've also ordered TFO Truglo night sights for it. Although I carry a G26 as my off-duty but plan to make this a BUG as well as a pocket pistol.

Any and all info and experience is welcome. Thanks. :)

mrmike7189 likes this.
  2. TScottW99

TScottW99 Bird Catcher

I had one for awhile and actually miss it. Mine was carried with Hornady Critical Duty +P and ran reliably with it and WWB. A retired LEO friend who is disabled took a liking to it and he now has it.

Good luck!

Deputydave likes this.

3. ESAFO

ESAFO

Love my LC9s it will always be in my rotation, i use a Blackhawk pancake nylon OWB 04 fit & feel work great for me.

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I have the original hammer fired LC9, the striker fired LC9s and the LC9s pro.
    In short the "S" and s Pro models are a favorite gun.
    Shooting them this week.

The hammer gun has a LONG trigger pull.
    The "s" models have a good trigger.
    I couldn't hardly give the hammer gun to someone after they fire both guns.

The only problem I've had is with the "USA" made magazines.
    After a little while the magazines would drop down slightly when the first round was fired, and the second round would not feed.
    The Italian made magazines are better made and have never given a problem.

Bending out the magazine catch hole cured this problem.
    Here you can see how I twisted a screwdriver inside the magazine to bend out the top of the hole.

LC9  mag fix.JPG

Note how the top of the hole is bent out (next to the 5)
    LC9s CT laser .JPG
    Ruger LC9 7 yards fast firing.JPG

Ruger LC9 10  yards fast firing.JPG

Ruger LC9 10  yards slow fire WWB firing.jpg

5. Deputydave

Just heard about that issue today. Interesting fix. Are the USA mags marked as such?

6. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yes, The USA and Italian mags are marked as such. (see pictures)

I "modified" the USA mags some time ago and use them quite often. No problem since.

happie2shoot and Deputydave like this.
  7. gunowner1

gunowner1

I just got my woman an LC9s as a bedside gun. Glad to see it gets good reviews here. If I carried it I'd just leave the safety off. Anybody have any problems with the safety engaging while carrying?

8. Rusty Guns

Rusty Guns

I have had my LC9s for over a year, probably closer to two.
    When I first got it I wanted to carry it with a Clip Draw. and because of this I was concerned with the safety coming off with a round in the chamber. I carried it for several months as a secondary pistol without one in the chamber, and it has never come off safety, and I am fully confident with it.
    I have a holster for it, but carry it with just the clip more than any other way.

Deputydave and happie2shoot like this.
  9. sheriff 54

sheriff 54

Bought a lc9 after they’d been out maybe a year. Carried every day since. Mostly pocket. Lost a little finish. Keep it wiped often. Brush out fuzz. Long trigger pull. Reminded me of an old j frame from smith. Since I’m an ol Guy, that’s ok. After a couple of years, the safety moves a bit easier then I like. Carried as a bug in left front pocket several times and found safety was on. Also, the mag release would bump something and release the mag. Mostly carried in right front pocket. Yep, I’m a righty. Since I’ve had it about 8 years, I’m liking it.

nitesite10mm and Deputydave like this.
  10. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Yesterday I gave a LC9 to a neighbor/friend.
    He is going to get his Texas "License to Carry".

He's a British (very good) wildlife artist.

I thought the LC9 would be an excellent gun for him to start off pocket carrying.

Deputydave likes this.
  11. Deputydave

My LC9 came with a no-name kydex holster that actually works very well. I also have the Sticky Holster which I didn't think I'd like but turned out to be a great holster for either the pocket or IWB.

Still using my LC9 as the around-the-house gun. Gave both of the LC9s to the wife as the triggers are easier for her.

12. Deputydave

Post #6 in the following link has me rethinking AIWB carry:

http://sepboard.us/showthread.php?tid=1158&pid=13230#pid13230

I'm not sure what kind of pistol he was using. In the photo following the video shows the holster that he was using along with a G43. Unclear if that was the gun or just a stock photo?

Having me take another look at making the LC9 the off-duty EDC since it is hammer fired, long DA trigger pull and manual thumb safety.

13. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Sheepdog

I must be an anomaly.

I liked the LC9 hammer version and its trigger so much that we bought a second one.

As a pocket carry gun without a holster it is perfect. The trigger travel is long, but smooth as can be, and has slightly less pull weight than a S&W J-frame. I would never carry a LC9s in a pocket the same way I do with the original LC9.

Is the LC9s trigger nicer at the range? Of course. But I grew up with revolvers and I find the original LC9 trigger to be just fine.

14. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I bought my wife one awhile back. Great starter gun. I personally wouldn’t carry it because of all the extra unnecessary safety features, but they are nice shooters.

15. powernoodle

powernoodle

The LC9s' hillbilly brother - the EC9s - is my current EDC gun. Same gun as the LC9s but with cheaper milled-in sights and a different finish. But it gives me 7+1 in the same size, more or less, of the 43's 6+1. This family of guns, including the original hammer-fired LC9, has a well-earned reputation of being completely reliable. Mine has never had a failure, and that's really the most important thing in a carry gun. Plus, unlike Glock, Ruger extends to the customer the courtesy of making an OEM +2 mag. No, I don't like the thumb safety, but its small and stiff <insert joke> and I ignore it.

A completely reliable "Pocket 9" with available factory +2 mag, at about $250 less than a 43? Yes please. [Academy Sports has the 43 at $499 and the EC9s at $249].

[​IMG]
    Ruger EC9s.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    vba likes this.
  16. Deputydave

Updating the thread:

I sold/traded the LC9 last summer. I got a great deal on an LC9s which makes it compatible with my wife's CCW. Had Truglo TFO night sights installed and find I've been carrying it as much if not more than my G26.

IowaWinter likes this.