LC9 + 124gr HST = ???

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Wishoot, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Wishoot

Wishoot

Question....

I'm not terribly familiar with smaller pistols. I bought an LC9 a few weeks ago and so far, it seems to be OK. I need a lot more trigger time with it.

Normally, I use 124gr GD +p, but I don't think shooting +p out of this little thing would be all that much fun or accurate.

Is the 124gr HST a good choice for this pistol? Not sure if it expands or penetrates that well out of such a small gun.

Thanks for your help.

2. xidica

xidica

+p will be fine as long as you don't shoot thousands of rounds, just dont shoot +p+. I like the 124gr Speer gold dot +p if you're going to use it for self defense.

3. bear62

bear62 Armed Bear

Good choice ........

4. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i dont see a problem with standard American pressured 9mm ammo in such a small gun.

for a larger more robust gun the European standard pressure stuff often called +p is just fine.

5. Wishoot

Wishoot

Sorry for not being clear. I understand the differences between standard pressure and +P. I also understand that limited use of +P in the LC9 is no big deal.

My question is specific to the 124gr HST. Will this bullet reliably expand and is the weight sufficient when used in an LC9?

6. xidica

xidica

I would recommend checking the tnoutdoors9 YouTube channel, as I believe he has done a few video tests on this specific ammo. I'm no projectile expert, but I believe almost all modern JHP designs these days have reliable expansion.

7. hotpig

hotpig IAFF Local 4766 CLM

HST, Ranger, Gold Dot and other modern loads are fine in the small guns. They all operate under a larger window of velocities than the old generation hp designs. You can even bump up to a 147gr reliably.

8. MinnesnowtaWild

MinnesnowtaWild

Yes, 124g HST would be a perfect round from the LC9. Moderate-low recoil and excellent penetration and expansion. I would possibly even consider 147g HST for the LC9 if I could chrono it at 950 or above from that barrel.