Lazy Local Cops Refuse to Serve Warrant

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by DVeng, Mar 30, 2012.

1. DVeng

DVeng

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation...ment-militia-groups-freeman/53873496/1?csp=hf

Title is TBO-style sarcasm and in no way an insult to the actual local law enforcement in this article.

I am really interested to hear what my LE brothers think about this. I am pretty torn on this whole situation. I think the individual decisions by the local LE not to initiate a situation that puts officers in grave danger over an assault warrant is probably the right one, but I really don't care for the precedent that being well-armed and well-defended makes one above the law, either.

Edited to add a summary: Guy assaults state trooper, gets out on bail, then goes into hiding at a sovereign citizen "compound" and essentially dares local LE to come get him while threatening the lives of anyone who does. For 12 years, local LE has chosen not to attempt to apprehend him due to the imbalance between the charge and the risk of apprehension.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

No, your title is spot on. I may get flamed for this, but this situation is pathetic. I can understand not rushing into a gunfight or a botched raid, but they've had 12 YEARS to put something together. Instead they just don't wanna stir the pot.

He committed felony assault against a peace officer and then threatening to kill officers who attempt his lawful arrest. That should have resulted in an immediate warrant service.

Okay, so their department doesn't have the firepower to make the arrest. I understand. But you would think that a sheriff and former Texas Ranger would have heard of a little organization called "DPS SWAT" who absolutely love surveillance, planning, and serving high risk warrants. They bring their own troopers, weapons, armored vehicles, and helicopters. And they do it for FREE!!!!!!

Instead a "sheriff" and his deputies drive by a known felony fugitive for 12 years pretending he doesn't exist and using the events of 19 years go, done by a completely separate federal agency, as an excuse. No wonder a new sheriff is elected every 4 years there, the people are tired of pansies sitting behind a desk for 4 years. Hopefully this guy gets thrown out of office in November and a real cop will step in and handle this situation. Sheriff Nutt obviously doesn't have any.

3. Kadetklapp

Kadetklapp Methberry PD

Word. This guy is a time bomb. Sooner or later he and his will get bored and start poking and if ignored, will just go all out and kill someone (Likely to be a cop).

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

Musta glossed over that "without fear or favor" clause in their version of ethics.

Risk management doesn't mean risk avoidance.

5. GRIMLET

GRIMLET Deceased

Get with the state or feds.

6. Ohio Cop

Ohio Cop

Call for mutual aid with other departments. Youll eventually get enough guns there to have te upperhand. No reason at all this wacko is out and about.

Sent from my Calculator.

7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

picking your battles does not mean ignoring the war.

letter drops from a chopper and the next day fire bomb the place.

his friends can turn him in, whack him themselves and toss him out the front door, or leave him there to his waterloo.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  8. ray9898

ray9898

It is past time to act. The threat of violence should not stop the judicial process.

9. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

10mm ought to clear that place out.

10. Morris

Morris CLM

Fired from orbit.

11. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

The problem now is that even if they arrest him, the case will be dismissed on a speedy trial motion because the state knew where he was and made no efforts to take him before the court.

12. fatfred

fatfred

There are other ways to do law enforcement than by confrontation. The perp was released on bond on a low level assault beef. If the trooper tried to take his personal weapon there may be a reason the perp over reacted. Now the perp has voluntarily incarcerated himself for 12 years at no cost to the county along with his family who are probably a_____ls like him. Sounds like a soft kill to me.

13. merlynusn

merlynusn

I understand the Sheriff looking at the risk vs reward. But yeah, to have someone openly defying the government is what causes this to spread. What everyone has learned from this guy is that if you have enough firepower and are not afraid to use it, the government will back off. At this point, I think ateamer is right in that it'll get tossed out because it's been so long.

14. beatcop

beatcop

No political will

Conduct tax sale.
    As they leave property cite them for trespassing & hold on cash bond.

15. DVeng

DVeng

Great feedback so far.

I tend to agree that there is no excuse to let this go on for so long, but I also can see an individual sheriff making a decision on an individual day not to send his officers to war over it.

The biggest question for me is whether they have looked to other resources (feds, mutual aid, whatever) to assist in solving the problem. If not, why not? I am hesitant to attack the local LE without a much clearer picture of the situation, but it does look... worrying based on the linked article.

16. beatcop

beatcop

Absent of any other facts...

-first couple weeks...ok
    -as time goes by other Troopers would eventually have a vote of no confidence

Can't have a guy with a valid warrant kicking around. You saying this guy has NEVER left the property....doubt it. Handled poorly.

17. Panzergrenadier1979

Panzergrenadier1979 Keystone Cop

Not a bad idea but it's gonna take some time and effort to evacuate the entire county until the fallout clears.

18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Pretty weak. Waiting until the time is right is one thing, but 12 years = letting him get away with it because you're scared of the fight.

19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Where do you people get this language. having you been reading Raymond Chandler and watching Bogart movies?:rofl:

20. CAcop

CAcop

I'm surprised the DPS didn't pay a visit to the sheriff and tell him to sack up or they were going to do his job for them.