LAX 9mm Ammo and Trigger Didn't Reset

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bowzette, Mar 18, 2017.

1. bowzette

bowzette

This happened yesterday while sighting in a 34 and 19. I was sighting a red dot on the 34 and had my elbows supported on a shelf at a range. My "suspicion" is that I must not have had as firm a grip as I usually do in normal shooting and the LAX loads are rather weak. I also had one failure to ignite the primer-dented but not fired. It fired the second time i tried that round. Next time at the range i will be sure my grip is firm. Does my suspicion sound like the likely cause of the trigger not resetting-once with each gun? Any experience with the LAX ammo?

2. kme

kme

A lot of experience (10,000+) with LAX ammo in new 9 mm 115 grain FMJ and 380 ACP FMJ. The 115 FMJ is a good reliable range round, shoots relatively soft, 1088 fps. Same with the 380 ACP RNFP. My son has a G34 and I have a G19 as well as numerous CZs in 9 mm. In 380 ACP I have a P238 and a G42.

3. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

If you are talking truly about trigger not resetting, after a successful feed, that is not ammo related. IME a trigger not resetting is striker spring related (can be connector as well). Are these stock?

4. shawn mccarver

shawn mccarver

Is the pistol completely stock?

I doubt this had to do with your "grip."

5. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur CLM Millennium Member

Have you altered both guns?

6. bowzette

bowzette

"Guilty" :crying: Back to stock connectors. Thanks

7. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

This can be an issue for those of us using sub-4 pound springs. :)

The place to look is the ear of the connector that rides on the slide. If you look closely at the OE connector, you'll see that surface is faceted. Rounding it in both directions and polishing it reduces drag on the slide quite a bit. This can make a big difference in reset with a match trigger.

This adjustment isolates reset from spring force in the connector, so you don't have to get into messing with the bend angle.

WeeWilly likes this.
  8. quantico

quantico 1911 lover Millennium Member

Another tweaked into non function deal... nice

9. glide

glide Just sayin'

If you are going to mod a firearm, make sure you know what combination of parts and modification that are going to work. Many people have installed aftermarket connectors with successful results. Next time do your research or just keep it stock.

10. bowzette

bowzette

The mods on the 34 was done by a highly regarded gunsmith that is personally into Glocks. The 19 was done years ago by Dale Hunnicut while doing a grip reduction. So in one sense I thought I had "done my home work" by relying on someone much more experienced than me.

happie2shoot likes this.
  11. SVTNate

SVTNate Packers fan

It ain't the ammo! LAX is my go-to for range ammo, and since it's local to me (well not with traffic, but that's another story), I get it at my doorstep next day.

well past 10,000 rounds of LAX branded factory ammo fired, various calibers, zero issues ever.

12. bowzette

bowzette

Glad to know it's not the LAX. Great price. I changed out the connectors to OEM and off to the range tomorrow. I was surprised to have issues with the 19 ( not the 34) as I've had it for sometime and at least a couple of 1,0000 rounds without issue. Having a reset issue the same night with a new 34 the GS set up as a range only gun and the 19 that I had for years and shooting ammo new to me, the LAX, is what caused me to question the ammo. I guess just a coincidence of timing.

13. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Do you know if the striker spring is stock or reduced power? If you have a known stock unit, you might just throw it in the bag as well.

14. bowzette

bowzette

WeeWilly the 19 is stock springs. I feel pretty sure the 34 has stock striker spring and trigger spring. The GS and I didn't discuss changing those and he did not return any springs with the 34, only the original connector. But I will ask him tomorrow or Tuesday.

15. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

Sounds good. It is just when guys start swapping springs (usually stronger trigger and weaker striker to get a firmer trigger with a lighter overall pull, reset can be compromised as these two springs work against each other, trigger to hold the group out of reset and striker to pull it back in). But maybe you found it in the connector. Definitely can be at the root as well.

I have used a number of aftermarket connectors with success, but when I stop and actually compare quality and subtle breaks and radii, the Glock pieces are usually a far higher quality end product and that does effect performance.

Good luck, make sure you tell us how it goes.