Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a quote from a Luke Perry (Ya I know, but he was pretty darn good in "8 Seconds", not too damn bad in this one either) movie "Goodnight for Justice"... I thought this was a very interesting exchange in the movie...

1st Gentleman: "Tell me, do you.. like being a lawyer Mr. Good night?"

LP's Character, Mr. Goodnight: "well Sir while I.. I have a great deal of respect for the law I can't uh, can't say the same for lawyers.. myself included."

1st Gentleman: "And why is that?"

LP: "For a lawyer, justice is inconsequential, victory is paramount." :wavey:

·
Banned
170 Posts
This is a quote from a Luke Perry (Ya I know, but he was pretty darn good in "8 Seconds", not too damn bad in this one either) movie "Goodnight for Justice"... I thought this was a very interesting exchange in the movie...

1st Gentleman: "Tell me, do you.. like being a lawyer Mr. Good night?"

LP's Character, Mr. Goodnight: "well Sir while I.. I have a great deal of respect for the law I can't uh, can't say the same for lawyers.. myself included."

1st Gentleman: "And why is that?"

Johnie Cocheran knew OJ Simpson was guilty of double murder and still fought to get him off.

How about that bastard DA that tried to convict all those innocent Duke LaCrosse players of rape?

Nuff said about lawyers.....they are the scum of the earth...filithy bastards!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Who's O.J. Simpson? Hehe

·
Registered
153 Posts
Look, I'm a law student, and the same is true for lawyers as it is for anything else. For every good one there are three bad ones. Don't let a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

Hopefully this never happens, but I promise if someday you get haled into court on a bs charge you'll thank God you have the right to an attorney.

I'm obviously a bit biased though :supergrin: :soap:

·
NO QUARTER
3,763 Posts
Look, I'm a law student, and the same is true for lawyers as it is for anything else. For every good one there are three bad ones. Don't let a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

Hopefully this never happens, but I promise if someday you get haled into court on a bs charge you'll thank God you have the right to an attorney.

75% of the population is considered apart of the "bad ones"?:wow:

·
Banned
170 Posts

A camel has a better chance of getting though an eye of a needle than you have to get to heaven.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Look, I'm a law student, and the same is true for lawyers as it is for anything else. For every good one there are forty-three bad ones. Don't let a few bad apples ruin the bunch.

Fixed it for you.:wavey:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Johnie Cocheran knew OJ Simpson was guilty of double murder and still fought to get him off.

How about that bastard DA that tried to convict all those innocent Duke LaCrosse players of rape?

99.9% of l#$%ers give the rest of them a bad name.:rofl:

OJ was going to either get acquitted or have a mistrial. I said that when they announced they had found a bloody glove on his driveway.

Planted evidence. And the jury figured it out.

Around here [email protected]#$%r is a curse word.:tongueout:

·
Banned
3,163 Posts

And a fine lawyer you're going to make.:rofl::rofl:

·
NRA Life Member
66,046 Posts
Which describes the only kind of lawyer I DO respect. I've always said a "true believer" who couldn't prosecute and defend the same criminal in the same case, deserves to be disbarred. Lawyers who "care about justice" are, by definition, incompetent in an adversarial system. The system is designed to get justice - lawyers fail as a part of that system when they become objectively intersted in "justice."

·
NRA Life Member
66,046 Posts
True enough. We live in a country primarily founded and run, to this day, by lawyers.

But I believe the OP isn't calling lawyers bad, so much as showing a lack of knowledge of the difference between good and bad lawyers. It's a lot like those people who claim a lawyer "lied to the jury." Have you leanred yet why lawyers can't "lie to the jury?" The OP and most people have not.

And, he quoted Luke Perry.:rofl:

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
The title of this thread reminded me of a story I read in Readers Digest years ago. A witness was on the stand during a trial. He described being in a struggle and then a shot being fired. The lawyer asked him if he was shot in the fracas. He said "I was shot midway between the fracas and the belly button." :rofl:

·
Banned
3,271 Posts

Yeah well everybody says that until they need one!
I have 3 at the moment,seriously...I have two cases that are mine for different areas of the law and one that is defending me.Yeah its a little stressful at the moment. :whistling:

Thank God for my attorneys!
Can't believe I just wrote that!!!

·
NRA Life Member
66,046 Posts
There is good and bad in all professions.
True, but the problem the legal profession has is less about the bad (people usually love the bad lawyers) than about the inability of the average person to understand how the legal system works and a lawyer's role in it. Virtually every anti-lawyer joke and complaint you hear is based on a msiconception about law/evidence/lawyers/etc.

·
Get off my lawn
42,701 Posts
Which describes the only kind of lawyer I DO respect. I've always said a "true believer" who couldn't prosecute and defend the same criminal in the same case, deserves to be disbarred. Lawyers who "care about justice" are, by definition, incompetent in an adversarial system. The system is designed to get justice - lawyers fail as a part of that system when they become objectively intersted in "justice."
+1.

Bren and I agree - someone call the UN!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts