Lawsuit Filed Over Blatant Racial Discrimination

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by chiefjack, Jun 25, 2019.

1. chiefjack

chiefjack

slamdunc likes this.
  2. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

So they chose the best person for the job. He suffers in not being gay, or a minority but excels in skills and training. How unfair.

Isn't it pandering ( and IMO disrespectful) to think that the only way a minority person could become management is if we eliminate anyone better qualified if they are not a minority?

I worked the same job my dad was for a while. I made it clear he could not be my supervisor, I was looking at the traveling part. My advantage was I had the skills, just not certification. So I tested out of training quickly. IF the only reason I got job was family, color of my skin. How could I feel proud?

slamdunc likes this.

3. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

If think college sports teams MUST be made up of the same demographic as student body (before athletic scholarships)
    Who cares if another player has almost a FOOT more vertical (plus 8" taller) can sink from 3 pt line under pressure 80% after running back to back killers.

chiefjack likes this.
  4. Tvov

Tvov

Similar happened in the New Haven Fire Department (Connecticut) in 2009:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ricci_v._DeStefano

It went all the way to the United States Supreme Court - and the passed over firefighters won. I met Ricci at a training event. Nice guy, great firefighter. Worked twice as hard as everyone else to go up the ranks due to his dyslexia. One of the other guys is hispanic.

Was kind of funny at the news conferences, a dyslexic and a hispanic being interviewed about the discrimination case. The politicians didn't know what to say or do, lol!

5. Firecop203

Firecop203

I joined the USAF in 1975 and when I completed tech school I was sent to my first base. Civilian personnel were working together with military personnel. This was during the time when affirmative action was going strong and civilian positions were filled with race being at the top of the list.

These selectees had several decks of race cards and used them at every opportunity. Administration was afraid of them and anyone who said anything even slightly in jest that could be considered offensive, the offender got a letter of reprimand or disciplinary action in their file, yet the same actions weren’t taken against them.

I was so glad when I left active duty and moved on to the civilian world. In 1986 I applied and took the test for the Alabama Highway Patrol. After three days of written and physical tests, polygraphs and interviews, I had made a 97 out of a possible 107 on the tests.

When the testing was over the chief of the patrol stood before the room full of applicants and made an announcement.

“Ladies and gentlemen. We will be putting together a class of one hundred persons. Because of a federal mandate the class will be comprised of fifty one blacks and forty nine whites. You will be notified if you are selected for the academy.”

I never heard from them again.

larry_minn likes this.
  6. kwo

kwo

1970 after the USMC I tested for dade county Florida Fire Department . Made a 105 on the test with veterans preference. All that made under 65 on test were hired . They got what they deserve ,now a **** hole city.

cheygriz likes this.