Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Spewer of TROOF
9,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m not looking for some home grade garbage, I need to do my driveway, patio and sidewalk, my dad’s house and the church where he goes which is pretty big.

what do you recommend?
I’m thinking I want a dedicated edger, you wouldn’t do all that with a line trimmer, would you?

·
Mentally Frozen
28,524 Posts
I hired a dedicated Mexican with a trimmer.

Yes, he's legal.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I would do it with a good line trimmer with some of the thicker grade line available.

I've used straight shaft Echo and Stihl models with great success. If you're considering a purchase I would make it a good trimmer instead, then you have a better trimmer and something to cut an edge with.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I edge with the echo trimmer. It's quick and very capable.

I run it upside down with the engine up by my head, shaft at a pretty steep angle. Gives a nice clean 90 degree type cut and is easy to see maneuver and see what you're cutting. Also pretty comfortable holding it that way for a long time if you needed.

·
Bathed in lavender and gasoline
4,084 Posts
String Trimmer held upside down over your head. It's fast and efficient when you get the technique down and aren't burning through string. If you can't physically do that, then I would just find someone who can. Those blade style trimmers are not good and cause erosion - in my opinion.

I ran a mowing crew through high school and all of college. 15 yards a week.

·
4,084 Posts

·
2,387 Posts
Trimmers do an excellent job of edging, and do it very quickly. The down side, is little by little over time, you kick out a lot of dirt, which starts making a gap between the cement edge and the grass. Oppose THAT with a real edger, which uses a thin metal blade to cut a very precise line every time (but is also a pain in the ass the first time).

That gap is not a big deal in some areas, depending on your soil and grass type, but in some areas I have a nearly 1 inch gap between the cement and grass of bare soil where grass can't grow because it gets hit by the trimmer. Stuff falls in there, toes can get caught in there, grass clippings accumulate, it looks unsightly to me. I like a nice sharp contrasting line of cement/grass. Most people would never notice the gap but I do. I end up back filling shose spots with topsoil every few years. It's an issue on most of my edges, but not all.

Like I said, the FIRST time you edge with a real edger, it's gonna take a lot of work. After the first few cuts, maintaining it is pretty easy.

A string trimmer is faster.

·
Use it up, throw it away
9,180 Posts
I doubt it, lol those things are ridiculous. I remember using one as a kid.
My neighbor used to use one like that back in the day. His lawn always looked pretty good.

I have an straight shaft ECHO that's fairly powerful but I can't seem to get that razor sharp line along the curb.

·
Why so serious?
65,949 Posts
I'd buy a used stolen gas powered edger off Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.
Fixed :tbo:

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I bought a pawn shop Echo about 7 years ago for my girlfriend’s place and Mom’s. It was work at first, but once you get the edge established it goes easy. If you’ve got a lot of grow over, a string trimmer is pretty much useless.

If I were to buy a new one, it would be a stihl.

·
4,084 Posts
Trimmers do an excellent job of edging, and do it very quickly. The down side, is little by little over time, you kick out a lot of dirt, which starts making a gap between the cement edge and the grass. Oppose THAT with a real edger, which uses a thin metal blade to cut a very precise line every time (but is also a pain in the ass the first time).

That gap is not a big deal in some areas, depending on your soil and grass type, but in some areas I have a nearly 1 inch gap between the cement and grass of bare soil where grass can't grow because it gets hit by the trimmer. Stuff falls in there, toes can get caught in there, grass clippings accumulate, it looks unsightly to me. I like a nice sharp contrasting line of cement/grass. Most people would never notice the gap but I do. I end up back filling shose spots with topsoil every few years. It's an issue on most of my edges, but not all.

Like I said, the FIRST time you edge with a real edger, it's gonna take a lot of work. After the first few cuts, maintaining it is pretty easy.

A string trimmer is faster.
When I edged we didn't cut a deep trough like the metal blade edgers did. We tried our best to cut right down to the dirt and no more. Takes a little more time, but I didn't want to cause erosion from cutting down into the soil. But I agree, there is always going to be erosion.

My neighbor used to use one like that back in the day. His lawn always looked pretty good.

I have an straight shaft ECHO that's fairly powerful but I can't seem to get that razor sharp line along the curb.
Practice and a keen eye!, lol. Slightly kidding. Also technique and setup. Move the forward handle up or down the shaft on the trimmer so that it's just barely engine side heavy when you balance it on the forward handle. This helps keep the trimmer stable, especially for edging, although it will make the trimmer feel heavier and less nimble in normal use. Also I would used my left hand opened up, while pinning that arm to my side and waist. Like I was balancing a tray of drinks/food instead of just gripping the forward handle. You can keep the trimmer sort of balanced in the palm of your left hand while the right hand does the throttle and control work.

Reactions: sombunya

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
Does anyone still use the old school edgers?

View attachment 757340
I used one for over twenty years. I would still be using it if health permitted; but I have a yard service now. The edger is still out back in the shed....I probably need to list it for sale somewhere.

Reactions: sombunya
1 - 20 of 21 Posts