close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Lavasoft caves in from pressure from the bad guys?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by NetNinja, Feb 17, 2005.

1. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

2. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

UNIX just looks better every day...

3. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

No worries; anyone who runs a single adware removal tool is definitely not taking proper care of their system.

Spybot S&D 1.3 does indeed remove this 'value-added application', even if AdAware lets it through for some reason...

What really worries me is that it is a violation of several US and International laws to introduce code onto a PC, without the permission of the consumer, for ANY reason - but covertly-installed surveillance software is seen by the law as an egregious form of privacy invasion. And rightly so!!

Especially when that code is meant to track the PC's usage and Web navigation, store up a database of all sites listed (along with who-knows-what other info) for the purpose of sending it back to their server for analysis and archiving.

All this for the purpose of displaying pop-up ads as WhenU does...and yet these cretins have the gall to insist that their dreck is 'good' while law enforcewment sits upon their thumbs and spins....

Could it be that all these millions of files that are harvested by such malware are forwarded instantly to a mega-database like ChoicePoint for 'safekeeping'?!?

That would certainly explain the lack of LE interest in these corporate crimes, since such storage of data on innocent Americans, while totally illegal for the US Government to be directly involved with, is apparently seen by them as Double-Plus Good when inflicted upon us by Corporations.

Now when Google pops up aimed adverts on the sidebars of their hosted pages, they are reading Cookies from the browser, which is mostly fine, since Cookies can be turned off, and there is no database being kept.

I believe this news serves mostly as an excellent example of why PC users need to run more than one Ad/Spy/Malware removal tool on their systems.

Good luck.

4. Wingnut357

Wingnut357 Killer Casual

I don't allow most cookies in my browser, it asks me whenever it encounters a new site.

If I run the actual uninstall features of some spyware on people's PCs, I make sure to leave an "inspirational" comment in the mandatory feedback section.

5. TAJones

TAJones

Having worked on PCs and Macs, as well as Unix based systems, I can assure you you will never get these boxes to do everything and please everyone. If you install all the things to stop all the things out there, you might just as well as not turn on the computer to begin with. Lavasoft Pro which is good comes with AdWatch which will stop all those pop up, both the good and the bad ones. You just can't have everything your way while using a computer without paying a price. And, you have to use a ton of software to get all the stuff off. There is not one magical remove it all, do it all program. When and if the Unix varities get as popular as MS, then they will be the target. Most junk gets installed by the end user because they just don't know what to do. My advise is if you don't know what it is for sure, don't get it.

6. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

I don't understand where lavasoft thinks it shouldn't include whenu. Anything that causes an ad to be popped up is deserving of being blacklisted by those who want to take the steps.

7. TAJones

TAJones

10 Ring Tao
    Lavasoft Pro which is good comes with AdWatch which will stop all those pop ups, both the good and the bad ones.

Pop ups can come up from a legit site or an illegit site. If you get the Pro version of Lavasoft's Adaware and AdWatch the AdWatch part will stop/block all pop up. After reading on Lavasoft's web site WhenU was removed from the list of baddies because Lavasoft thought they were trying to straighten up their act.

Again, there is not one piece of software that will take care of all your wants. You will have to use more than one piece of software and then decide if you like what that software will do. Also, some of this software will cause you more harm than good. I have to watch what software I install on a customer's computer. Its mostly based on my knowledge of the computer user. Some customers don't have a clue about computers, nor do they wish to know. They just want to use the computer. Some customers will attempt to fix something and really screw up the computer. Those are the hardest to fix. The only customers that I have that rarely have any problems are the business customers. The users have NO internet connection, cannot fix anything, cannot install anything, etc, etc. In other words they are only allowed to do that which is part of their job.

If you don't want pop ups then don't connect to the internet. If you are easily annoyed, then computers are maybe not for you and will either teach you some patience or give you a heart attack.

8. Scorpius

Scorpius Skeptic

If you're going to only run one adaware-style program, you'd better be pretty decent with your regedit, regedt32, and msconfig commands. And I've never felt the need for a system pop-up blocker, google's toolbar does fine for me. Of course that's only because I keep my system clean... And I know the 'whenu' one, it really sucks, but not *near* as much as Wintools, or wtools, whichever you've experienced. Those took me forever to get rid of.

9. srhoades

srhoades

For those who say Linux will be a target when it becomes more popular I agree, but only to a certain extent. Although it will be more targeted, it's pretty hard to modify a system file when only root has permissions to change it!

10. David_G17

David_G17 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

true, but how many windows users do you know who log in as administrator?