Latest about Sig ammo

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by soloone, Sep 19, 2015.

1. soloone

soloone

There has been much discussion about 9mm vs .380 with most saying that the .380 should not be carried.

The October, 2015 issue of the "American Rifleman" has published some tests the staff did using new Sig ammo. Standard 10% Ordinance gelatin was used with two layers of denim, distance 25 yards.(except for the Diamond Back .380, 2.8 inch barrel 15 yards).

The 90 grain .380 round penetrated the tow layers of denim and 10 inches of gel with a final diameter of .54 inch. The 9mm round fired from a Browning Hi Power, (25 yards) penetrated 14 inches with a final diameter of .56. inches

Of course muzzle energy at 10 feet was twice as much in the 9mm over the .380. However, 10 inches penetration at 15 yards from a 2.8 inch barrel .380 isn't all that bad. It also is a reasonable distance one would expect to use it. The Glock model 42 with a 3.25 inch barrel would probably have slightly more velocity.

Yes, this is all lab testing and theory but I feel comfortable with my Glock 42. It has slightly more power than a .22 short which seem to be the opinion of some.:supergrin:

2. unit1069

unit1069

I think the .380ACP has a lot more power than a .22 short round.

ElevenBravoDotNet likes this.

3. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

The new 380acp ammo will get the job done if you do your part at close to moderate ranges. Shot placement is key more then anything else. That being said 380acp is my minimum caliber that I'd use.

4. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Any caliber is better than having no gun at all. I'll carry a .32 or even a .22 if a larger handgun isn't practical for some reason - but that doesn't happen often.

So if you're happy with a .380, more power to you.

5. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Either 12" is an accepted minimum or it isn't.

silversport likes this.
  6. silversport

silversport

the former 10" minimum did not prove itself at the "Miami Shootout" involving FBI Agents which is what started the 12" minimum but that's a choice you should make yourself...

Bill

7. mastrbloata

mastrbloata

That's about what popped into my mind as well.

8. soloone

soloone

Maybe a better explanation is needed here concerning .380 vs 9mm.
    I'm 87 years old and i have very bad arthritis in my thumbs and fingers. I have trouble loading rounds in mags so I use an Uplala (sp) loader. I have trouble racking slides for the same reason. The 42 Glock makes it easier to rack the slide. It's easier for me to shoot and reload. It's small so it's with me at all times.

The Glock 22 and the Glock 35 that I have are both great , no problem with power but they are relegated now to house guns. Yes, I can carry both and have good holsters for both (OWB) but i must make a DELIBERATE choice to carry. A. .380 Glock 42 in my case, is with me all of the time because it's easy to have and use. Any gun is better than no gun.

The other alternative is a 442 Smith, also easy to carry but hard to reload (arthritis) especially with a speedloader. Since I'm left handed, DA wheelguns have always been slow to load.

Maybe i should carry my Ruger Vaquero .357. That is made for left handers but heavy.

Yes, a .380 is a marginal cartridge but it's what I do.

9. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

More power to you, if its what you can use than run with it. As for me I have zero use for the 380. So many think that with new bullets the same old marginal caibers are magically transformed into new fight stoppers. Physics have not changed, nor will they. A 380 is a 380, period regardless of the bullet. It's the same argument 9 folks use constantly.

10. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

Old age is tough on us handgun shooters.

11. zennashton

zennashton

Get a p32 and use s&b 32 acp ball ammo. 16 inches of penatration every time. And wieghs 9 ounces loaded.

12. SCmasterblaster

16 inches? The FBI is happy with 12 inches!

13. ElevenBravoDotNet

ElevenBravoDotNet

FBI Fumbling Bumbling Idiots

I dont take anything they say as true gospel. Do your own research and make your own decision.

EB

14. SCmasterblaster

I do. I don't trust the FBI's opinions about handguns and ammo.