Late to the party

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Bradd D, Oct 9, 2020.

1. jmorris

jmorris

If they don’t already have food when the source is gone, they die.

The OP is obviously not in that situation but now instead of just finding a box of “X”, he has to source a reloading press, dies, powder, bullets and primers.

2. xTerpx

xTerpx Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)

...assumes that they can't look for a new source, once the old source dries up (what we call an "either/or fallacy"). :)

Scheel's could have an Xl750 in the mail by Tuesday (Monday is a federal holiday; has units in stock, as do a few other online retailers); powder and bullets can be had at BassPro/Midway/online just to get started, left only with finding the unicorn box of primers on the shelf somewhere. While out searching for ammo, keep an eye out for primers, too.

Liberals have argued against nuclear powerplants for decades, arguing that they take too long to construct and we need power now...if only we had started when they first raised this asinine argument 40-50 years ago.

Waiting is not the answer. :)

judgecrater, wlkjr and Taterhead like this.

3. Bradd D

Bradd D

I have a few thousand pieces of once fired small primer and large primer 45 ACP brass. My plan was always to start with 45 ACP as it is more expensive than 9mm. I just never got around to getting set up. I could accumulate 9mm brass pretty quick, though, as I have a good bit of factory ammo to shoot. I have a Forster Co-ax single stage press that I bought to reload 45-70, but I never got around to setting that up either.

Kentguy likes this.
  4. naughtymoose

naughtymoose

Yes components can be found. The coax will be a great place to start but you will soon yearn for increased output.

Abrass likes this.
  5. collim1

collim1

Primers are non-existent.

Projectiles are available with some searching and patience. I’m waiting 6-10 weeks for an order of coated lead projectiles from MBC.

Jacketed projectiles, especially .223, are quite difficult to find. Atleast at a decent price.

Powder is out there and available, though not everything at one time.

I haven’t had any trouble finding dies. I just ordered a Lee four for handgun set without any trouble at all.

6. Kentguy

Kentguy

Bradd D,

There certainly is an argument that can be made for buying factory ammo and stashing it away. However, the same is true for reloading your own.

With your press your well on your way.
    https://www.forsterproducts.com/product-category/case-sizing-lubricating/co-ax-reloading-press/

Starting out is just a matter of collecting what you need one step at a time. Like any project worth getting into, it always takes time, work and patients until you start to see real progress. One and most likely the best aspect of reloading (which has been mentioned) is long term ammo availability for yourself.

secondly you are developing a skill that will last you the rest of your life, which is not affected by store prices or availability of any finished ammo.

The short answer to the question you asked "is it worth it"? If you plan on shooting, than yes it is! Stick with it, you'll get there.

Taterhead likes this.
  7. papershoot

papershoot

If you want to reload, start getting ready. I started after Sandy Hook and pistol powder was the biggest problem during that shortage. Pick up a copy of Lyman's 50'th edition reloading handbook and read it from front to back. The forum experts here will help you when you post questions.
    Hopefully things will get back to "normal" some months after the election. Primers are the thing now as well as some projectiles like 223, 9 mm, and 45 ACP. Getting started now could be frustrating. Consider a revolver caliber like 38/.357 or 45 Colt to get started, due to simplicity and projectile availability. If you were local, I could help with pistol primers.

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-50th-R...=1602470494&sprefix=Lyman,aps,689&sr=8-1&th=1

Kentguy likes this.
  8. Glock21sf-miami

Glock21sf-miami

Better late than never my friend! Be patient, check for components everyday in the morning and buy when you see them. Little by little you will complete what you need. Just do everything slowly at the beginning and check everything twice. After a bit, you will get the hang of it and become efficient. It is a great hobby and comes with a lot of satisfaction once you get things sorted out.

Kentguy likes this.
  9. ejs54

ejs54 Member

That's no excuse. I'm 32 and struggle with these same issues at the range and reloading bench.

10. ejs54

ejs54 Member

As an aside, if you are trying to join the party late, powder is also hard to find but can still be had. If you are looking for pistol look for jugs that say Win. WSF, Win 231 and HP-38 they have been the easiest to find and SHOULD be able to get you loading most of the popular handgun calibers. Now isn't the time to be choosy. If you see UNIQUE, grab as much as you can carry or allowed to purchase. It's hard to find (now) and it's like Tabasco sauce you can put on everything.

Kentguy and Taterhead like this.
  11. IAhunter

IAhunter Venor ergo sum

Just north of the wall, Cochise County, Arizona
    My advice would be to buy your equipment used from someone who is no longer loading. Presses and tools are expensive, but many last decades. Save some money.

ejs54 and Kentguy like this.