GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth looking into reloading now? Are components available?

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Primers are the bottleneck. Very difficult to find. Like wlkjr said, get the gear together. Powder is reasonably available. You'll find primers eventually, but reloading is not worth it if paying the going rate of $80-100 on the classifieds market.

Maybe you know a fellow shooter in your area that can help with a few primers?

·
I. B. Glockin'...again. :^)
1,719 Posts
Component availability not withstanding it's not worth looking into for me. If I'd started reloading when I started shooting I'd be in a much higher tax bracket today. :crying:But at the age of 76 I guess it's not gonna happen now...or ever.

At my age, with my fading eyesight and memory and my arthritic hands I would be very afraid to drop the hammer on any round I loaded.

Here's my thought process as I load a round:
.Oooops dropped another brass
.Opppps my hand slipped off the handle...again
.Where did I leave my glasses
.Did I already put the powder in? I don't think so. I probably didn't. :headscratch: I'll just put it in now. :homer:

No. The world is a safer place if I just buy over the counter like I've been doing for over half a century.:cheers:

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Component availability not withstanding it's not worth looking into for me. If I'd started reloading when I started shooting I'd be in a much higher tax bracket today. :crying:But at the age of 76 I guess it's not gonna happen now...or ever.

At my age, with my fading eyesight and memory and my arthritic hands I would be very afraid to drop the hammer on any round I loaded.

Here's my thought process as I load a round:
.Oooops dropped another brass
.Opppps my hand slipped off the handle...again
.Where did I leave my glasses
.Did I already put the powder in? I don't think so. I probably didn't. :headscratch: I'll just put it in now. :homer:

No. The world is a safer place if I just buy over the counter like I've been doing for over half a century.:cheers:
Kinda like in golf, it's good to know your game and play accordingly (at least that's what I hear since I'm a total duffer).

·
Previously nutsnax
695 Posts
Worth it? Yes.

You should start grabbing components now and just get hold of whatever you can.....

One thing you could do to practice is take existing crappy range ammo you have laying around and go buy some higher quality hollowpoint (or whatever) projectiles. Pull the range ammo projectiles with an impact puller and practice bullet seating, powder measuring etc.

The reason I say use higher quality projectiles is for motivation purposes... because in the end you come out with factory-like ammo with a better projectile.

·
real dogs
2,056 Posts
Worth it? Yes.

You should start grabbing components now and just get hold of whatever you can.....

One thing you could do to practice is take existing crappy range ammo you have laying around and go buy some higher quality hollowpoint (or whatever) projectiles. Pull the range ammo projectiles with an impact puller and practice bullet seating, powder measuring etc.

The reason I say use higher quality projectiles is for motivation purposes... because in the end you come out with factory-like ammo with a better projectile.
Process is called "Mexican Match" and is typically done with mil stock ammo and target quality bullets.
Trouble today is that most good bullets are not available....all on backorder status.

·
Brass picker
644 Posts
A few places are still shipping components like precision ammo just sent me 1000 115gn poly lube coated. Price was very comparable to pre-panic buying at 7.1cents per round. I aLso bought some Coated 125gn from summers ent a few months ago. As mentioned the primers are hard to get and might be for a few months.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Right now it seems that most of the materials and machines you need are expensive or OOS because of the panic buying. I was considering it myself but when I spoke to a re-loader he suggested that I wait it out for a bit.

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,252 Posts
Montana Gold and RMR just 'released' 3K 147s each to me. MG wait for stock was >2 1/2 months with no backorders accepted. RMR... a 3 month b/o on the way after initially claiming a 4-6 week b/o. Someone must have discovered a lead mine and labor force. :D

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,155 Posts
The way I see it, wait till after the election. If Trump wins things will start to loosen up. If Harris becomes President and the Democrats take the House and Senate.? All bets are off in trying to find ammo, or even reloading supplies, or even a place to shoot. They will also stack the Supreme Court. And the US Constitution will be trashed.

·
Sir Arthur if you Puh-leeze!
1,488 Posts
Is it worth looking into reloading now? Are components available?
Never too late. And many reasons to reload.
1. Always have ammo
2. You like precision
3. Always have ammo
4. Lower cost
5. Always have ammo
6. Another phase of the shooting support
7. Always have ammo
8. Enjoy the learning process
9. Always have ammo
10. Gotta be more reasons
But then there is this ...
11. Always have ammo
:dancing:

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'd recommend considering reloading after the current crisis resolves. At a minimum I'd seriously think about buying the gear and components just to set aside for the next gun/ammo crisis, and there will be a next gun/ammo crisis.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
The big unanswered question is :
"How will the price and availability of components compare with loaded ammo, in the future?"

I was about to stop reloading 9mm because I could buy decent quality factory ammo online for just a penny or two per round above the cost of components. .380/.38 Spl/.357 Mag have always been cheaper to reload than buy factory, and that probably won't change.
Now, factory 9mm is several times it's previous price, if you can find it.
OTOH, primers are almost impossible to find right now. If you don't have them, you're stuck.

My preference is a good stash of both factory ammo and of reloading components for my calibers.
It now looks like I'll be about 80 years old before I have to start looking for more.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
To give me an alternate source of ammo in the current drought.
No, I wouldn’t start now for that reason.

By the time you have amassed the stuff you need, you will be able to buy factory again.

Once everything is plentiful again you can stock components for next time though.

Squirrels don’t wait until the middle of winter to gather nuts.

·
Preferred Pronouns: (It, Ya'll, Bruh)
2,905 Posts
Squirrels don’t wait until the middle of winter to gather nuts.
...while true, a squirrel also has to eat. :)

I starting squirreling away components after the pandemic started, and I have amassed a safety net that will ensure my Austrians eat for years to come...so would argue that he could/should do both—keep an eye out for the ammo he needs to tide him over while stocking the reloading shelves.

Isn't that always the gun community's answer? Get/buy/do both. :)

...but point well-taken. I can only imagine that it's much easier to get a few boxes of ammo than a few boxes of primers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts