Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A neighbor of my brother was wanting to give their cat away in favor of a puppy. My daughter of 5 at the time was wanting a cat. We thought we could give him a home, so we went got the cat. Upon first glance I thought, wow! That cat is huge, we're going to put him on diet. The owners had his shot records so we didn't take him to the vet until yesterday. They weighed him at 22 pounds, that is after we put him on a low carb, high protein diet for a year. I'm kinda of at a loss on what to do. Yeah, he took to me, as you can see him snuggling himself asleep against my leg.
15722504542036886737274713300805.jpg

·
Registered
9,146 Posts
Keep him active. Our cat is a little “chunky.” She’s definitely a “daddy’s girl.”

Play with him as much as possible and cut back on the food just a little. Slow weight loss is the best.

In the meantime, enjoy how “cuddly” he is.

·
Making America great again!
17,641 Posts
I had a 25-pounder, a big orange tabby. Lived to 17 with no major health issues.

One thing to watch out for is diabetes. Had a couple of friends with diabetic cats they had to give insulin injections to every day.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Welcome to the world of the white elephant. The king of (what is now) Thailand would give someone (who displeased him) an albino elephant. They couldn't get rid of it and it would bankrupt them with costs of keeping it alive.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Was the vet concerned about his weight? Some cats are just big. Our orange tabby that we lost in Jan was somewhere around 15 pounds but he wasn't fat.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
My little guy is a svelte 26 pounds. At least has was the last time we weighed him. He's a little chubby, but mostly he's just a massive cat. We think he's got to have maine **** in him.

·
Registered
12,704 Posts
20+#, highly likely a Maine **** cat about the only breed that routinely gets that large w/o being fat.

Our son just got divorced from a truly evil woman who cheated on him. Got a Maine **** from a shelter that his owner had dropped him off at. They're getting along very well, cat has a real personality.

Enjoy your big boy, he certainly acts as if he's very happy to be yours. Don

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
Found this little dude under the wheel well of a car. He’s a little wet and miserable as I used a bottle of water to help make his hiding spot less hospitable.

He was feral. And unhappy. Note gloves and towel.

B462267E-D3E4-4756-BCDB-618B73C4570B.jpeg

Took a week before I could touch him. He was so tiny, I hoped he’d make it.

He did. This is him sleeping next to my sons normal sized cat. (She is actually kinda chunky) He is not fat. I’m pretty sure his momma hooked up with a bobcat. Absolutely the most gentle and loving cat I’ve ever seen. About 21 pounds of muscle.
27FD7848-0948-4FD0-9A05-51A01D277A03.jpeg

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
20+#, highly likely a Maine **** cat about the only breed that routinely gets that large w/o being fat.

Our son just got divorced from a truly evil woman who cheated on him. Got a Maine **** from a shelter that his owner had dropped him off at. They're getting along very well, cat has a real personality.

Enjoy your big boy, he certainly acts as if he's very happy to be yours. Don
Since you mentioned a large breed, he seems to fit a Siberian Cat the best. Although they are rare.

·
Know-It-All
2,419 Posts
As said before cats can be huge and not fat. We have a big boy and he eats all he wants but doesn't get fat. Well, a little, but he carries it well.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Was the vet concerned about his weight? Some cats are just big. Our orange tabby that we lost in Jan was somewhere around 15 pounds but he wasn't fat.
No mention of weight from the vet. With their C19 policy, they came to get him from the car. He barely fit into the cat box. We were told he was trying to hide behind a trash can, but stuck out like Danny and the Dinosaur.

·
Don't Jump!
4,618 Posts
If you want to manage your cat's weight, you have to manage their food.

Some cat's can handle unlimited feeding (i.e. always food in the bowl) and some can't. We have a cat that will eat everything and anything in sight if we let him. We don't and he isn't overweight.

You aren't doing you kitty any favors by letting him get fat. If you can't feel his ribs, he's fat.

·
Registered
12,704 Posts
Since we're talking about cats, I thought I'd add a humorous memory of a cat a neighbor of ours had eons ago when I was a teenager.

Cat was named Herman, a large cat, but rangy, not at all fat, just muscle. Herman HATED, DESPISED mockingbirds with every breath he took. It was his goal to kill them whenever possible. Mockingbirds felt the same way about him but he succeeded. He'd climb trees and kill them, climb down with blood on his face, apparently felt it was worth the reward. Don

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Found this little dude under the wheel well of a car. He’s a little wet and miserable as I used a bottle of water to help make his hiding spot less hospitable.

He was feral. And unhappy. Note gloves and towel.

View attachment 747970

Took a week before I could touch him. He was so tiny, I hoped he’d make it.

He did. This is him sleeping next to my sons normal sized cat. (She is actually kinda chunky) He is not fat. I’m pretty sure his momma hooked up with a bobcat. Absolutely the most gentle and loving cat I’ve ever seen. About 21 pounds of muscle.
View attachment 747968
I love to hear about others that rescue ferals.
I have long suspected that those that may become social with people were once domesticated cats that got lost or were abandoned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts