1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
NRA Life Member
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
11,251 Posts
That trailer in post 3 looks a little over dramatized to me. WP's got a picture of the warhead laying on the ground at the explosion site. The explosion was from the rocket. The closest we have ever came to an actual nuclear explosion was in the Carolina's.

Nuclear weapons are even safer today than they were in the 60's. And today they are much lower yield.

I guess familiarity breeds contempt. I've never lost any sleep over them. And I've flown for over 26 hours at a time with them on board our aircraft. Today we don't fly with them.

About the only thing I worry about is those Muslims getting them. They are just crazy enough to deliberately touch one off for the glory of Allah. Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) only works when the other side is sane.

·
NRA Life Member
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you keep a key? ;)

No key ( keys were in the safe with the EWO Docs ), but I do have a " Ready To Launch " light banging around somewhere from the old LES ( Launch Enable System ).

That was a system that the WCP and ACP could disable launches of all sites if there was an EMP event close by.

The ACP had an EMPSS ( EMP Sensor System) machine that would alarm if there was an EMP event close enough to the Wing to cause issues if a missile launched through it. If we got that alarm we had to disable missile launches from all the sites using the LES for a classified amount of time ( and it will stay classified because I have forgotten it now :D ). The LES board had a indicator light that said " Ready to Launch ".

Eventually they removed the LES and the EMPSS machine while I happened to be on alert one day.

Someone may have surreptitiously removed that light and stuck it in my crew bag while no one was looking.

;)

·
NRA Life Member
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That trailer in post 3 looks a little over dramatized to me. WP's got a picture of the warhead laying on the ground at the explosion site. The explosion was from the rocket. The closest we have ever came to an actual nuclear explosion was in the Carolina's.

Nuclear weapons are even safer today than they were in the 60's. And today they are much lower yield.

I guess familiarity breeds contempt. I've never lost any sleep over them. And I've flown for over 26 hours at a time with them on board our aircraft. Today we don't fly with them.

About the only thing I worry about is those Muslims getting them. They are just crazy enough to deliberately touch one off for the glory of Allah. Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD) only works when the other side is sane.

Yeah, the guy that wrote C & C had an underlying agenda in the book.

Here's the picture from the Damascus accident. The RV is circled in red right outside the main gate in a ditch.

People had walked by it for hours without realizing what it was. Most people connected the W53 with the RV like this.

reentry.jpg

Only the RV was shredded going through the 750 ton concrete and steel door.

Finally one guy walked by and basically said WTF ! ! !

damascusrvcircle.jpg

·
Registered
606 Posts
If the guy who produced this is the same guy who did "Fast Food Nation", and the trailer says he is, it would be good to remember that he was found to be very unreliable in his "reporting." I'm not one to praise the nutritional benefits of an all-fast-food diet, but his "evidence" of weight gain and bad health was ridiculous. No one, except the unsupervised emotionally disturbed or developmentally disabled would have entertained the thought of eating only multiple 10,000 calorie fast food meals per day, every day for many months, so his results spoke of no plausible reality but only an impossible hypothetical that he used to promote an overall judgment of an industry that fulfills a need in society. In short, I wouldn't trust his opinion about much of anything.

·
NRA Life Member
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the guy who produced this is the same guy who did "Fast Food Nation", and the trailer says he is, it would be good to remember that he was found to be very unreliable in his "reporting." I'm not one to praise the nutritional benefits of an all-fast-food diet, but his "evidence" of weight gain and bad health was ridiculous. No one, except the unsupervised emotionally disturbed or developmentally disabled would have entertained the thought of eating only multiple 10,000 calorie fast food meals per day, every day for many months, so his results spoke of no plausible reality but only an impossible hypothetical that he used to promote an overall judgment of an industry that fulfills a need in society. In short, I wouldn't trust his opinion about much of anything.
The portions on C & C that related to Titan were pretty accurate on the details, but he did slant everything with an anti-nuke slant.

That’s not to say that the AF could not have handled Damascus a bit differently.

Reactions: pgg00 and Caver 60

·
NRA Life Member
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:rofl:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Somewhere in my file cabinets, I have a copy of the message Sep 27, 1991 where George H.W. Bush ordered the stand-down of bomber alert.
Was at SAC HQ in Omaha when this happened...also when Gen Butler took all the guns off the Buffs and did away with gunners. The latter was not staffed, to my knowledge, just a unilateral decision. People were stunned.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Never flew the Chrome Dome missions; that was before my time. Lots of time on alpha alert, though. Never lost any sleep over the possibility of using nukes, either. I'd of done it, without hesitation. I used to tell the tanker weenies there were two types of countries: the USA and Targets.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
After they took the Gunners out, who picked up the flight lunches and coffee?
Good question. I was on staff and had all my gates met by that time. I suppose the guy who had the least amount of mission planning to do made the order. That would of been the EW. Maybe he picked it up also? Dunno. :dunno:

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,071 Posts
Was watching this doc about USAF Nuclear Attack Preparation, when I opened this thread.

Talk about chilling. The logic of glabal death is so compelling.

·
NRA Life Member
29,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That was a Titan II site of Davis-Monthan AFB in Tucson. The last picture is the escape tunnel to the surface.

Bad things lived in that tunnel. :alex:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts