Last questions - USPSA / IPDA / GSSF

Discussion in 'General Competition' started by JoeInKS, Mar 7, 2010.

1. JoeInKS

JoeInKS

Getting some feedback concerning typical needs / differences for taking part in any of these events. I shoot / want to shoot Production or similar in each. Appreciate you feedback please on:

1 - How many magazines do you carry typically on your belt / in pistol?

2 - What's the typical and furthest range of targets? (I shoot Glock 34 / CZ SP01 normally but like my 17 at closer targets (<15 yards) so debating use of 17 or 34)

3 - Recommendations on reloading equipment? (I'm about to begin with 9mm)

4 - Would Warren/Sevigny sights suffice? Is there any advantage to having a night sight / fiber combo?

Thanks guys

2. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

GSSF is NOT like IDPA or USPSA.

With GSSF, there is NO working from the holster, nor magazine changes on the clock. There is no movement. You basically stand there, load one magazine, hold the gun at "low ready", and start shooting at the beep. The timer stops on your last shot. Then you reload when the R.O. tells you too, and you continue. You don't even NEED a holster to shoot GSSF, most just carry in their bag. And you don't need mags on your belt either. The LONGEST shot in GSSF is 25 yards, most targets are at 10-15 I'd say. (You should probably have FOUR magazines with you, though, as you have to shoot 4 strings of fire on the PLATES... it'll keep you from having to reload during the course of fire, holding people up and maybe putting undue pressure on yourself).

With IDPA, there's a limit of how many mags you can carry on your belt, which is two. I forget what is the LONGEST shot, it might be 50? But I've yet to see any over 25 yards.

I haven't shot USPSA (yet), but this is where things are more flexible. I know I've seen youtube vides of 3-4 magazines on the belt? But I won't even try to answer this question any further.

For sights, I use the Sevigny Competitions and am very happy with them.

For reloading, I love my Dillon 550B, even though as I shoot 2000+ rounds per month wish I'd gotten a 650. I still might. You can't go wrong with BLUE !

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010

3. voodoomanx

voodoomanx Large Member

I shoot USPSA.

1. I have 4 mags on my belt and one in the gun.
    2. Typical range of targets <15 yds but expect the unexpected. Some targets out to 40yds.
    3. I have a Dillon SDB and love it. I started out with a single stage but don't recommend wasting the time and money. Get a progressive and get loading!
    4. Sights are totally a matter of personal preference. I have Dawson/Sevigny with the FO front.

I use my G19 exclusively and don't ever feel undergunned.

Take your time and get good hits. Once you're shooting mostly A's you know you can start to speed it up a bit.

HAVE FUN.

Check out some of my USPSA vids: www.youtube.com/voodoomanx

4. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

This is excellent advice.

I use my 17 for production USPSA. I carry 4 mags on my belt. I use a set of Warren Tacticals that work really well for me.

For GSSF, as stated above, there is no holster work or reloads on the clock. Start from low-ready and blast away. I use my 17 for amateur civilian & competition and my 26 for sub-compact.

Again, as stated above, HAVE FUN!

5. mteagle1

mteagle1

In USPSA there are more 34/35's used because the longer barrels make it easier to meet power factor, 125 minor for Production & 165 major for Limited/Limited 10 and the longer sight radius makes longer shots easier. Production & Limited 10 are limited to 10 rounds in the magazine after the start signal so people wear pouches to hold 4 or 5 magazines. Personally I have pouches for 5 magazines and load with one out of my back pocket.

6. jhayesvw

jhayesvw

i shoot USPSA with a G17
    here is my setup

4 mags on my belt
    1 in the gun
    mags loaded to 10 rounds (i shoot production)
    typical target range is 15 yds, but out to 35yds or so IIRC occasionally.
    i use a Dawson Fiber optic .105 wide x.215 tall front with a warren tactical rear.
    shoots point of aim (NOT 6 o'clock hold) very accurate.
    trigger mods are simply a glock "-" connector.

enjoy it. i like USPSA because YOU have to figure out how to shoot the stage, youre not told how to do it like IDPA. so, each person may shoot it a little differently.
    also, you can drop a mag at any time and no rules on how to reload.

7. ronin.45

ronin.45

In IDPA I think 20yds is the longest distance. Most serious competitors in IDPA and USPSA use the 34/35 because of the sight radius. I have a 17 for IDPA and use a 17L for USPSA.

8. ecmills

ecmills I shoot guns.

1 - How many magazines do you carry typically on your belt / in pistol?
    In USPSA, I carry five on the belt, and 1 in the gun to start. Four will usually suffice, but running out because a mag is dropped or is used to clear a jam isn't a happy feeling.

IDPA limits you to two on the belt, and one in the gun to start.

2 - What's the typical and furthest range of targets? (I shoot Glock 34 / CZ SP01 normally but like my 17 at closer targets (<15 yards) so debating use of 17 or 34)

If you already own a 17, shoot it for at least a half dozen matches to see if you feel the need for a 34. You probably won't.

3 - Recommendations on reloading equipment? (I'm about to begin with 9mm)
    I load on a Dillon 650. The square deal B, 550, or any of the competitiors (Hornady LNL, Lee PRO 1000, etc) will all do you right. But everyone who plays with my 650 wished that's what they'd bought. Except for the three guys I know who run a 1050. ;)

4 - Would Warren/Sevigny sights suffice? Is there any advantage to having a night sight / fiber combo?

Fiber-front Warren/Sevignys are the most common option for Glock shooters in IDPA and USPSA. There's no advantage to the night sight except in VERY rare low light IDPA scenarios.

9. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

I hate being this guy but...Target placement is encouraged out to 35 yards in IDPA, We had a stage in Feb was 6 targets well over 30yards engaged from behind a wall. Today we had a match in Orlando I think the furthest targets was 30 or 25 yards cant remember for sure..

GSSF has a maximum of 25 yards.

10. voodoomanx

voodoomanx Large Member

the 17L is not production legal in USPSA.

OP: Another thread for your reference. http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1022066

11. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

In IDPA you are limited to two mags. In USPSA, I wouldn't step into the start box with less than 5 (4 in holders, one to start the stage with).

In USPSA there is a long range standards at 40 yards. Most of the time you don't see targets much farther that 20 yards. But, sometimes you see some 8" steel at about that distance so it can be a bit sporty.

9mm? Just buy facotory... ok, I reload in a Dillion 550. Conside the 650 for the auto index function. Other models are just as acceptable. Don't get wrapped up in name brands.

Honestly; I've never heard of Warren/Sevigny. I run a Dawson the front of my Kimber Supermatch II and I ran TFO's on my Glock. My wife has TFOs on her Kimber Custom II.

Ain't sayin' there is anythign wrong with the Warren/Sevigny at all.

Get what works for you, but consider how many people are running Dawson- lots.

My pleasure- be safe.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  12. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

Being on an all Glock site... you've never heard of DAVID SEVIGNY?

They're sights he spec'ed out, I guess, and Warren builds. Ummmm... there are quite a few users of them, believe me.

13. HK Dan

HK Dan

I run 3 spare mags on the belt in USPSA Limited. Hey, if 80 rounds ain't gonna do it, it ain't gettin' done with 100 either. For stages with prone reloads, I usually stick a FOBUS dual mag pouch on the spine in addition to the Safarilands on the front.

There is no range limit in IDPA. As someone said, they encourage occassional shots past 35 yards.

I shoot both sports in equal measure. USPSA is generally more fun (more shooting) but more intense. Our guys get pretty competitive, yet the same guys shooting IDPA are laid back--it's odd.

IDPA is agruably more useful for defensive practice, but anything that gets ya shooting is valuable. It's more scripted than USPSA; you're more likely to see stage directions in IDPA ("Run to point A, shoot with inhuman accuracy, run to point B, shoot with inhuman accuracy, weak hand only, run to point C, shoot with inhuman accuracy around the barrier on the left side...etc). Pretty much? Everyone has to shoot it the same way in most cases. Not at ALL the case with USPSA (and not with all IDPA stages either).

Hope that helped!
    Dan

14. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

:rofl::wavey:

Yeah, I know who Dave Sevigny is, just didn't know he had threw his name on some sights.

And I learn something new. :supergrin:

eta: http://www.cpwsa.com/warren_sevigny_sights.htm

15. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

No not really I tend to always run a stage different than most... then people seem to do what I do. I like when people copy me makes me feel like I'm doing something right.

Not sure what you mean by "Inhuman accuracy" IMO uspsa is more like paintball or Mel Gibson from Lethal Weapon.

16. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Most you guys already know sights or weapon type makes no difference to a natural... Like Dave Sevigny.

Myself I use the stock glock factory sights and have no problem even in low or no light because with the pistol in my hand... my brain still knows the direction the bullet is going to travel.

This is actually really old school stuff before firearms had sights... or even back in the day sharpshooters would file down the front site... and then they would shoot coins out of the air with no sights on the firearm... some people still perform these skills today.

17. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I used the stock sights for 7 or 8 months... at distance, they totally cover the target, you get no "detail" ??

Sights with a NARROW front blade (like the Sevigny comps and MANY others) allow you to actually see the target "around" the front sight. It takes some practice, as now you have to "center" the front sight in the middle of rear notch, but you can definitely see more of further targets.

18. 9mmXRAY

9mmXRAY IDPA MW2 GSSF

Very True...I totally see why better sights are better, I do like the stock glock sights only gripe I have about them is the plastic ones get damaged easily.

I have my eye on a set of Trijicon hi-viz sights but I'm a toss on front sight color as of now. I dont see any particular color any greater than another so I'm thinking green would be fine for me on the front and rear. I have noticed the red front and green rear makes my brain fart when shooting open eyes because I'm seeing 2 red dots and 4 green... if that makes any sense. Like seeing a doubled 6 white dots is no problem for me... So I think seeing 6 green would be fine.

What do you think? Like I saw a glock at last GSSF with dawson rear and a bomar front the guy said they didnt make anymore. I wish I knew which dawson rear he was using I really liked it I been looking at some but its not the same so maybe it was something more old school dawson??

19. ronin.45

ronin.45

Thanks for the correction. I wasn't sure that's why I put "I think".

20. PhoneCop

PhoneCop TeleDetective

Please don't accidentally undermine lots and lots and stupid lots of practice. Sevigny and Leatham and Michel and Tomassi and Miculek and Voight and those "trick" shooters shoot and practice far more than the rest of the universe. They have natural talent, but it was practice that got them where they are.