Last of the Goodyear "Blimps"

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by oldandtreacherous, Mar 16, 2017.

1. oldandtreacherous

oldandtreacherous

2. Eric

Eric Big Giant Head CLM

I used to live a few blocks from the Goodyear Blimp hanger in Spring, Texas, when I was a kid. I used to watch the blimp take of and land all the time.

In the later seventies or early eighties, a hurricane destroyed the GY Blimp and hanger in Florida (in Miami, I think?). When the replacement blimp was finished, it came to Spring, Texas and was stored in the same hanger as the Texas blimp, while its own hanger was being finished.

Seeing two blimps shoehorned into that hanger was quite a sight. Seeing the two blimps side-by-side through the partially opened doors, made me think of the world's largest display of cleavage. That thought made me laugh my butt off every time I saw the two blimps in there, back then. My mom always wanted to know what I was laughing about. How do you tell your mother that the blimps looked like the world's biggest boobs, nips and all? Like I said, quite a sight.

3. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Many times, I pulled over and watched them try to land in very high winds. It was a hoot. The blimp would drop ropes down and the ground-crew would try to catch them and hold on. Holding onto the rope attached to a gigantic bronco in a buffeting windstorm is not a good idea.

I think I still have pictures of the only time that three Goodyear blimps flew in formation. About five or seven years ago (?), they flew over Cleveland (?) (somewhere in Ohio). One brand new one, going to it's new home-base, another current one that was in-service, and the oldest one that was on it's last voyage to blimp-heaven.

4. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

I've always been fascinated by blimps and zeppelins. tom.

5. Bruce M

Bruce M