GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
54,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chesterfield County Police Chief, Col. Jeffrey S. Katz
·
Last night, I received a call I dread; the report of a knife attack on the property of one of our local schools. Two students stabbed. As the details became clearer, I learned the following:
A local private school was holding evening football practice on one of our CCPS fields. During the practice, a coach decided to reprimand a 17-year-old player. The player made the decision to physically assault the coach. Two fellow players, a 17 and 18-year-old, made the courageous decision to intervene and protect their coach from the assault. This is when the father of the player assaulting the coach decided to produce a knife and repeatedly stab the two good Samaritan students.
Our response was swift and voluminous. The victims of the stabbing suffered puncture and laceration wounds – including to the face and chest. Fortunately, these were not life-threatening – although they were quite serious.
The assailant was quickly identified and despite his efforts to flee the scene prior to our arrival,
Chesterfield County Police
personnel promptly took him into custody without incident.
A local reporter on the scene of this incident reported hearing someone, an uninvolved bystander, complain…not about the stabbing of two students…not about the violent unprovoked attack on a school coach, but about the number of police officers who raced to this incident.
When I facilitate courses for new and aspiring police chiefs about the role of serving as their agency's "top cop," I include a passage written by Theodore Roosevelt as a reminder about the importance of maintaining morale in the face of spectators who yell from the cheap seats. Roosevelt served as the New York City Police Commissioner from 1895 – 1897. Years later, in 1910, Roosevelt said,
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
With this in mind, I'd like to take this opportunity to publicly THANK those two heroic players for doing the right thing. To THANK the coach for committing to the development of our community's youth at personal risk, and to THANK the men and women of the Chesterfield County Police Department who continue to choose entry into the arena – sometimes to the jeers of jackals – in order to make a positive difference in our community and serve complete strangers in their time of greatest need. I consider it the honor of a lifetime to stand beside them and to advocate for their spirit of selfless service.
Let's never forget the importance of simply being kind to one another.

·
What did I come in here for?
10,944 Posts
Like father like son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Also from TR- “In any moment of decision the best thing that you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing that you can do is nothing.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts