Last minute things to buy before Convid-19 hits

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Z71bill, Feb 15, 2020.

1. DevinBreeding

DevinBreeding

Thread hijack.

ol’roy is made in the good ol’ US of A. A lot of Purina is also in fact. Doesn't make them quality foods but still.....

Actually a lot of “premium” foods are made in the same factory by the same company.

Ogden Utah for example makes foods for 100s of top names. The dog food company provides recipe and the manufacture delivers.

2. BillKilgore

BillKilgore

I don't know the price since the pharma company I am working with is renting the machines for this study. In a hospital's capital expense budget, it would be a drop in the bucket.

flyover likes this.

3. mikeivan

mikeivan

Sorry for a dumb question: Could this virus get into and persist in a municipal water supply?
    That news about it persisting in feces gave me the creeps.

catman71 likes this.

4. flyover

flyover

Municipal water should be treated with chlorine, chlorine kills this bug. The bigger question is, does municipal water have enough chlorine in it to kill the bug? The other thread on the site has several saying that a 1 to 9 ratio of bleach to water will kill this bug. I don't think drinking water is treated that heavy.

5. Z71bill

Z71bill

You also need googles - this virus also gets in your eyes -

6. Z71bill

Z71bill

Some reports in China of the virus spreading through waste water pipes - so the guy on the 16 floor apartment has it - and the apartments below his were also impacted.

7. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

25mm_googly_eyes.jpg

8. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

I’m gonna go Goggle that.

9. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

A more pressing concern is what country supplies the vast majority of municipal water-treatment chemicals & compounds. HH

flyover likes this.
  10. bill123

bill123

Or - can it persist in the 90 percent of drugs they manufacture

flyover and Intolerant like this.
  11. BobbyS

BobbyS Truth always sounds like lies to a sinner

eating that **** SPAM you might want to get wayyyy more heartburn meds

flyover and catman71 like this.
  12. papershoot

papershoot

I started buying some things today: water, bleach, canned goods, and N 95 masks. I have noticed some of the online retailers are out of stock on N 95 masks, but have the exact same item available at twice the price. I got mine at Home Depot, but the bulk packs were about gone.

13. bdcochran

bdcochran

I accept Green Dragon's opinion. However, I still went out and bought cases of food. Why? Because I have extended family in town. They don't prep.

It is real simple to write . . . I will bug out . . . I will not share my provisions . . . "prove it to me" .. . . or to express an opinion like .. . it's just another flu.

If your opinion is that the situation is fake news, don't do anything. Very simple.

Last month "a researcher" claimed that a vaccine would be developed in two weeks. Two weeks ago, a local doctor got his 15 seconds of fame by proclaiming on television that a vaccine would be available in three weeks. My opinion like those of other people are like as---s. Everyone has one.

I try to operate on the basis of facts. Sometimes I fail. For me, the reality is that a family member got off the plane last weekend, having lost 12 pounds in a week. Guess who took him to the doctor and visited him every day? Mommy. Fullwork up by the doctor. If he failed any of the tests, he was to be sent to the hospital. Now, mommy and me have a small dose of the flu.

Green Dragon will be our man on the ground. Please post your observations when you return from one of your frequent trips. Personally, I sent an email to my PRC business contact and wished the firm "good luck". They responded with a thank you.

14. Z71bill

Z71bill

[​IMG]

Coming soon to a grocery store near you!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    catman71 likes this.
  15. papershoot

papershoot

I did more shopping for non-perishable food items today. I got over the counter medicines, rubbing alcohol, cases of canned vegetables, canned meats, 20 pounds of Basmati rice, and nuts at Costco. I got a whole country ham at Kroger. I'll probably get more bottled water and fruit tomorrow. I try to buy mostly things we normally eat.

Z71bill and catman71 like this.
  16. skyfall

skyfall

BUY SPAM-BUY LOTS OF SPAM!!!

Advice given to me on GT!

flyover and catman71 like this.
  17. Z71bill

Z71bill

Powdered milk -

I am planning on freezing a few 1/2 gallons of milk - but think a few packages of powdered milk would also be a good idea.

Bread would be nice to have - my freezer is almost full -

Would something like hamburger buns hold up better in the freezer VS a regular loaf of bread?

18. skyfall

skyfall

I know tortillas and pita bread will keep in a freezer,not sure about hamburger buns.

Z71bill likes this.
  19. Z71bill

Z71bill

I just got back from the store --

Saw a wall of tortillas over by the bread - figured it was worth a shot - 10 count for only $.88 -- so I grabbed 4 bags -

Also got 2 packs of hamburger buns and one pack of hot dog buns all less than $1 a pack.

HEB brand stuff is pretty cheap.

Got enough powdered milk to make 6 gallons of liquid milk.

I wrapped the tortillas and buns up in plastic wrap - then put in a plastic grocery store bag - dated them and stuck them in the freezer - who knows - I hope I never had to use them - but for $5 or $6 it is not much of a risk.

Imagine going a few weeks eating stuff out of a can - a nice cheese quesadilla and a glass of milk would sure taste good. :eat:

Ross-in-Pa likes this.
  20. PeterG

PeterG

Stock what you eat to eat what you stock.

I’m keeping some quickie foods(soup/broth) that won’t take a lot of effort to prepare, other than that it’s basics from our normal diet.

Not spending a lot on protective equipment except for cleaning supplies and a few things we use already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z71bill likes this.
  21. Rabid Rabbit

Rabid Rabbit

Not all bleach is equal. Clorox list chich of their products can be used on food prep serfaces and disenfecting water, you dont want to injest scents, no splash and whtieners. As noted previously the grocery and warehose stores are decimated but I found what I needed at home dept and lowes, theyboth had full shelves of the regular and germicdal bleach. Im going to switch to shock treatment ause I don't think the demand is going to let up anytime soon.