close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Last Deer Of The Season

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Sulaco, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I killed this 8 point this morning. I was sitting a road stand beside a creek down in a black water swamp. These two does came out just the other side of the road following a game trail that parallels the creek. I just saw them as they started down the road away from me. I figured something else wouldn't be far behind so I got my rifle up and just as I took it from half-cock to full-cock (Marlin 336 in 30-30), this buck stepped out. I put the crosshairs on him and squeezed one off. He didn't fall down, but he dug ruts in the road on his way into the water. He went into a sort of floodplain between the two creeks and folded up dead about 60 or so yards in. I got real wet and real cold getting him out but I was able to float/drag him back to the road. He weighed in at 140lbs on the hoof and was 2.5 yrs old. I probably should have let him go because he had some more growing to do, but seeing as how it was last day and all and he just stood there, I shot him. ;f

I just put this brand new Marlin together a week or two ago so it is the first blood for it. I am very happy with it even though I bought the wrong ammo. ;g

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WFR

WFR

Gotta love those levers!
    Nice deer and nice set-up on the Marlin. What scope is that? I have often contemplated mounting a Leupold 1X4 on my Marlin 336 in .35 Rem.
    What ammo did you use? Seems to me it worked.
    Congrats and enjoy the venison. I'm glad someone got out hunting this year cause it sure wasn't me.

3. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

Thanks. The scope is a Weaver V3 (1.5-3x20) I bought at Midway USA. I love it. It is much brighter than I thought a scope this small could be and the field of view at 1.5x is awesome. I put it on Weaver brand mounts that seem to be working well even though they aren't finished very well.

I wanted a 35 Remington but they didn't have one.

The ammo was Winchester 150gr hollowpoints. I usually use (and zeroed this setup with) powerpoints. These seemed to shoot close to the same POA so it worked out, but they did more damage than I am used to. The exit wound was huge compared to the powerpoints. Yes, they worked just fine, just not what I prefer.

I think a scope like this and what you have is perfect for leverguns. Lots of people scoff at putting a scope on a levergun but I don't care how it looks as long as it works. I use a levergun because I like it, not for how it looks. I say mount the scope and kill deer! :)

4. noway

noway

{He went into a sort of floodplain between the two creeks and folded up dead about 60 or so yards in. I got real wet and real cold getting him out but I was able to float/drag him back to the road.}

Bet I bet you where happy ;) Nice setup.

5. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Very nice deer.

I love the lever actions but don't hunt with them much.

I have a couple of 1894 Marlins a 32-20 (that I won) and a 44 mag in stainless.

No matter how you slice it they are very fun to shoot.

6. CanyonMan

CanyonMan In The Saddle

You did well guy !
    If the scope helps.... Put it on!

Enjoy the steaks. ;)

CanyonMan