last call at 11:30?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BEER, Apr 11, 2012.

1. BEER

BEER bad example

tuesday nights are free pool night at the local beer joint so that's when and where me and the guys go for "man night" while the women sit at home and do scrap booking or whatever the hell it is they do.

we're usually out of there by 10 but tonight we were all shooting pretty solid so we lost track of time until the bartender called last call. we all did a double take at our watches thinking it was 2 am, nope it was only 11:30.

i've been in dives, bars, beer joints, ice houses, pool halls, and every other type of drinking establishment you can think of all over this state and this is the first time i've ever heard of last call this early. it's always been last call at 2am and clear out by 2:30.

it's no big deal, i actually like the idea, it keeps me from running a tab through the roof but it just kind of surprised me. anybody else run into the anywhere?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

Early last calls are arbitrary since it costs money to stay open. If nobody's drinking and no quarters are going into the table or jukebox...you're losing money and closing early cuts the losses. HH

3. Gregg702

Gregg702 Gold Member

Last call? What is that? :supergrin:

4. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

That's when all women are beautiful... HH

5. The Maggy

The Maggy

One of my more favored places in town closes at 11 on Mondays and Tueasdays. Wed-Sun in a packed, two story house; but usually come 10:30 on those two days, there are more people on staff than there are patrons. It's just a business call.

The law only mandates that they cannot serve after a certain time; but no one said that they had to stay open up to that point.

6. CAcop

CAcop

In the comminutiy next to my college they had a last call at 2330 due to local ordinance. They didn't want them crazy college kids drinking too late. A lot of college kids got DUI when they did beer runs at 2400.

I stocked up before I started drinking.

7. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I think most close around midnight during the week around here, I might be wrong though I only drink at home. A while back I was with a buddy shooting pool at one of the bars I rarely frequent, it was a Friday and last call was at 12:30 I believe. I was pretty lit so idk lol.

8. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

:supergrin:

:rofl:

9. pugman

pugman

Check your local city ordinances. Cities and towns can set more strict closing times than the state allows but at least here in Wisconsin they can't set more lenient.

I tended bar 7-8 years. Sundays we closed at 7. Why? Business sucked especially in the summer. I had some non-Packer summer Sundays where I rang up a whopping $92 worth of drinks in the till working 10-7. The profit on those drinks didn't cover my salary much less the additional lights we had on, etc.

Also, is this "beer joint" a true bar or restaurant/bar? Several small towns in the area have laws where Taverns can close at 2 or 230 on weekends but restaurant who also happen to sell liquor need to close by 12.

10. BEER

BEER bad example

nope this is an actual bar. 1 coin table up front by the bar, 2 more in the back by the huge dance floor and stage. the bar itself serves beer and setups only and for hard liquor it's byob. they might serve some sort of microwave pizza type food or something but i've never seen it or asked about it.

sometimes they'll have some sort of charity cookout for the local pd or fd and there's usually some sort of food related event on big drinking holidays like new years and the 4th of july but other than that no food, and those events are held out in the parking lot.

11. MrKandiyohi

MrKandiyohi Millennium Member

My favorite bar in college used to close at 10 or 11. It was only a small 3.2 bar, and it opened for the 'regulars' each morning about 7am. There were bigger beer taverns and the regular bars, so we'd just head down to those after it closed.

12. m2hmghb

m2hmghb

A town near me is proposing a last call at midnight, if the places want to stay open later they have to pay a fixed fee based on occupancy. As they put it too many people are drunk and disorderly at 2am, at midnight it's shift change for the PD so they can hold a few cops extra over. The extra revenue is to pay for more patrol officers at 2 am.