Lasermax

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by carolina, Feb 7, 2010.

1. carolina

carolina

Does anyone have the lasermax on any of your Glocks and if so is it worth the expense?

2. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I have one. It stays zeroed and doesn't change the size of the gun or grip like a frame mounted or grip mounted one.

3. ironman23

ironman23 Member

I have one on my G23. Its up to you what is worth it. I personally won't buy another one. It functions like its supposed to I just don't want to spend the 300 for another laser sight when I don't really need it.

4. dreis454

dreis454

yes & I'm about to buy one for my G36

5. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

:rofl:Why even carry a gun if "You don't really need it?"

I have one in all 4 of my Glocks, 1 in my Beretta 92FS and Crimson Trace on 4 other carry guns. I wouldn't carry a gun without a laser.

YMMV

6. sgtlmj

sgtlmj NRA Life Member Millennium Member

7. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

I am an anti laser person. Since the is visible on the first thing it hits you are looking at objects in front of the target or behind the target until you pick up the dot and get it onto the target. The second problem is it helps induce tunnel vision. When pointing a laser at a person you tend to focus on the dot and lose sight of their hands or secondary adversaries you may have been able to pick up if you weren't focusing on the dot.

The only place I could see them being useful is doing entries with a bunker to aim without sticking your head out. I don't have a bunker so it's a no go with me.

If my eyes were so bad I could not shoot with iron sights I would put a doc optics red dot on my pistol. I have one on a range glock and it does not interfere with most holsters.
    It is much faster than a laser and keeps your field of vision on the same plane.

8. shamrock404

shamrock404

I use a lasermax in my G29 works quite well. Is real good for night defense.

9. ironman23

ironman23 Member

I need the gun, I don't need the laser, I just use the iron sights. To me its not worth the $300 when I can use the iron sights just fine. To each his own. Like I said its up to the individual whether it is worth the cost.

10. bentbiker

bentbiker

Can you explain? Are you saying that when focusing on the target, the dot appears sharp -- as if it were on the target -- as opposed to being fuzzy because it is actually hitting a lens 18 inches from your eye?

11. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

*QUOTE*
    I just don't want to spend the 300 for another laser sight when I don't really need it.

+1 If you can't hit a man size target at 15 yds w/o sights you need more practice.

12. NAS T MAG

NAS T MAG

I would say if you can do that shooting one handed from the hip or laying on the ground with the gun over your head, you're right, you don't need a laser. I can't do either one of those exercises without one.

13. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

Not at all. What I mean is that when using a red dot sight (not a laser) you see the dot regardless of what you are looking at. If you point a red dot at the sky you will still see the dot. If you are aiming at a person and the pistol is aimed 2 inches to the left of the person you see that and adjust. With the laser if your pistol is pointed 2 inches to the left or target, the dot shows up on the first thing the laser hits. If it is a wall 10 feet behind the person your focus will be on the dot, 10 feet behind your target. If there is nothing behind the person, say an open field for example, there is nothing for the laser to hit so you can't see exactly where it is aimed and you may have a hard time getting the laser on target.

Clear as mud yet? I don't think I am explaining this very well so please bear with me. It is much easier to demonstrate with a red dot and a laser.

If you buy a cheap laser pointer, go outside and try to point it at something quickly, you will see what I am trying to say.

14. bentbiker

bentbiker

Thanks. You did a great job; I understand completely. The reason I asked was that a number of us with "old eyes" have difficulty focusing on the front sight and still seeing the target well enough to position the sight. My green laser solves the problem allowing the use of a long distance lens to focus at the target distance, but I haven't been able to find out whether a red dot sight would work the same way -- will the dot be sharp regardless of the distance at which the eyes/glasses are focusing?

If you can answer the question above, I'll try for one more. What about parallax? If you shift your head slightly off of the line of the bore, does the dot disappear, or does the POA change (even though the POI hasn't)?

15. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

I have the LM in my G30. I highly recommend the CT. Not a fan of the LM at all.

16. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

BTW. I have a CT on my G19 and G26 as well as M&P40, SP101 and UCII.

17. TheHammer

TheHammer

I have one in my 19... Works great and they have great customer service. I bought mine used for less than half of retail and would buy another at that price.

18. 1time

1time Lifetime Member

The dot should not be fuzzy but I am fortunate enough to still have good eyesight so I can't say for sure. Unlike iron sights, with a red dot you focus on the target. The dot will be superimposed so the target and the dot are both in focus.

With the red dot, if you can see the dot that is where it will shoot. The smaller red dots are not as forgiving if you are off the line of the bore but with a little practice it is easy and fast to pick up.