close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LaserMax slide lock problems on Glock 23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glock34 ///M5, Feb 23, 2006.

1. glock34 ///M5

glock34 ///M5

I'm having a problem where it's a real PITA to take apart my G23 with the Lasermax installed.

The slide lock lever is extremely difficult to get down evenly to get the slide off. I once tried adjusting the tension in the slide lock spring but the slightest tension broke the spring. Lasermax sent me a new spring but I have the same problem now.

Does anybody else have this problem? I have no trouble at all without the Lasermax.

2. RayB

RayB Retired Member

We have the same arrangement in Judy's G19, which has identical frame dimensions. It does seem a little harder than it does on my G21.

Are you sure the new spring is fully inserted in its slot? The supplied instructions are typically poor, but this point is well stressed.

I find it easiest to reach up from beneath, and draw the lever down evenly on both sides. But I have long fingers and strong hands.

Hmmm...

The new spring is tight, and has that central detent to prevent the laser from turning on and off during firing. If you reinstall the OEM spring, you might defeat that feature--but it's worth a try; I mean, what's the downside? The new release/switch has a detent of its own, and it be okay.

For something more radical...

No promises, but I do have a theory:

Remove the spring from the gun.

If you heat the LaserMax spring red hot, you "should" be able to bend it "very little" in that glowing spot. The thing is, you'd want to do this on the length of spring that overhangs, in front of where the release/switch sits on the detent (see attached).

Do this quickly and immediately immerse the spring in ice water to restore the temper. You'd best guess very well, as I wouldn't try this twice. Too much and the laser will turn on and off during firing...

If you screw it up, order another--it is, after all, just a spring.

--Ray

3. stangyg123

stangyg123 NRA 4 Ever

I had the same problem in my G22 with lasermax. Turns out the slide lock spring was not pushed all the way down into it's slot. That sucker is real tight and takes a good push with the tool to get it down. Once it was down I had no more problems but ended up ditching the lasermax because the longer slide lock was scratching my holster. Good luck I hope this helps.

4. glock34 ///M5

glock34 ///M5

The spring is in fact all the way in, but it's still very tough getting the slide lock down. Even once the slide has been removed, it's tough to press the slide lock down evenly.

I installed the original Glock slide lock spring and it really solves the problem, and the laser still turns on and off fine. I'll have to shoot it this way to see if there are any problems.

I'll also try heating and bending the spring to see if that works. Thanks for the suggestion.

5. stangyg123

stangyg123 NRA 4 Ever

I do remember when I compared the two springs that the Lasermax one had a different angle and would definatly cause the problem you are talking about. Your idea to heat it and bend it will hopefully work, if not just use the standard Glock spring, as you pointed out you should see if it stays in when firing, my guess is you will not have a problem. Good luck.