close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LaserMax for Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 12131, Nov 22, 2006.

1. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I'm new on here, so.....

How does it compare to the external laser brands? Thanks.:thumbsup:

2. CTtackdriver

CTtackdriver

Like for doing presentations or making the cat chase? They all work the same for that. If you want to shoot slower and drive your self nuts , they work great for that too.

You naturally point on target as a human reflex. Its actually a shooting exercise. using your hand and point at things all around the room very fast as if you were drawing and pointing of using a secured and unloaded pistol. You will find at a range where most altercations happen you can EASILY snap shoot everything in the house. I like to do my aiming excersises at small things like light switches , wall plugs , door knobs while sitting on the couch or in my office chair ( i personally use my finger) Everyone I know whos used a laser pointer winds up shooting alot slower because they wind up playing chase the laser.

3. Butcher

Butcher NRA Life Member

FOR $300 THIS CAN ALL BE YOURS!

4. Skintop911

Skintop911 Uber-Practical

Catastrophic failure of an internal component renders the gun inop.

The Crimson Trace G-series come highly recommended.

5. 12131

12131 Monkeyboy CLM

This is the helpful kinda info I was seeking. Thanks. I should have been more specific.:supergrin: :thumbsup:

6. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

I have a lasermax (guide rod type)and have had some problems with some of the smaller plastic parts, eg. the battery cap and the plastic bushing. None of these problems ever caused the pistol to malfunction. (Actually, the everyting still worked when the bushing was distorted). Lasermax customer service has been excellent. I've never heard of a case where the guide-rod lazer sight has failed and caused a pistol malfunction.

I didn't like the Crimson Trace because of the switch location and the (slight) increase in grip size. My hands just could not operate the switch and have a good firing position - these issues will vary from person to person.

Any laser sight can be a benifit if used properly. A laser sight is not a subsitute for good stance, grip, trigger control, etc. I find that using the laser sight requires bringing the pistol up to the same position as you would use your regular sights; and rather than concentrating on the front sight - concentrate on the laser "dot". A laser sight CAN cause proper technique to become "sloppy" if not kept in check - accuracy suffers with both sighting systems when this happens.

It can be useful for determining technique problems, eg. a training tool. My wife shoots better with the laser than conventional sights using my G23, and a laser sight might be really useful on a "j" frame S&W (or similar) because of the virtually non-existant sights on these revolvers. I "have" shot better, but not always, with a laser sight than conventional sights.

The above having been stated, I don't use the laser sight much, because I do not want to rely on batteries, electronics, etc. when I really need use use a pistol for defensive purposes - I'd rather rely on my meprolight sights. Also, a laser sight can give away your position if someone is "shooting back".

7. Poorshot

Poorshot

I have had the Lasermax on a G26 and a G27. For what they cost I would say use the money for something more usefull like ammo to practice with. I will probably not buy another. I don't know if it is normal but mine would turn off after every shot, you had to turn it back on for follow-up shots. I guess the recoil causes it to turn off. Slows you down to much. The only thing I found it was good for was show and tell, people would always get a kick out of it when they saw it. This is just my opinion.:wavey:

8. RayB

RayB Retired Member

We've had excellent service from two 2005 LaserMax units, on two 2005 Glock pistols, over thousands of rounds of various ammos, including +P.

My only objection to Crimson Trace for the Glock, was that it changed the grip angle in a way not to my liking. I also wanted the option to engage the laser at my own discretion.

I found the units easy enough to install on both guns.

We've had no FTFs or other gun malfunctions attributable to LaserMax.

Accuracy was excellent right out of the box--rounds impact about 1/4" above the dot, right to the back of the range.

Both LaserMax units are still on original batteries from Nov 05 & Feb 06 purchases...

Here's a link to one LEO's experience with LaserMax in a Glock 21:

http://www.commtechreview.net/firearms/lasermax.htm

Used intelligently, lasers are excellent tools to add to well maintained guns, carried by skilled shooters.

Given my own first-hand experience, I can only recommend LaserMax.

--Ray

9. Jzza4

Jzza4

I have not had any problems with lasermax on my G17. For some reason, I couldn't install it with the plastic ring near the lens (has worked fine without it).

It would be a great accessory if it was $100 cheaper, but if you have the money to spend then go for it.

10. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

so I have a question...

How many of you are required to wear glasses / corrective lenses for the operation of an automobile???

Reason I ask - I am very nearsighted. Don't know that I could , in fact, see the Laser Dot either now that I think of it...

Have any of you Myopic folks tried shooting with laser w/o your corrective lenses?

Just curious how it went.

TIA

11. 6string

6string

My Lasermax broke and fell apart shortly after being installed. Yes, it was installed properly. Too much plastic on it. Never fired a single round with it. It was returned for a refund pronto.

12. vettely

vettely

I have one in my 27 and have had no problems other than dead batteries. I did break the battery cap one time and they replaced it no problems. I got it more as a de-escalation device hoping that if need be, seeing that flasshing red dot on their chest wlll put a end to the confrontation without deadly force.