Largest elephant killed in Africa in 30 years:'(

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BSA70, Oct 16, 2015.

1. BSA70

BSA70

2. SRS

SRS

I don't personally have interest in elephant hunting, but I don't know why this upsets you. It's far more sporting than just about any other type of hunting because there is at least a substantial risk of injury or death to the hunter.

3. fowl intent

fowl intent Banned

Some people have more money than they have sense. But if this "hunting" is done as part of a sound game management plan, and the revenue from the hunt goes towards the management plan, and plenty of locals have meat on the BBQ grill, then maybe its a good thing.

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

While the tusks are probably huge by today's standards they do not seem so when compared to some records from the first half of the last century. I wonder how well the elephants do in areas with hunting and the revenue it produces versus the areas with no hunting at all.

5. 2bgop

2bgop

I personally have no desire to hunt an elephant, but proper management has helped their population in some areas of Africa.

6. Dave514

Dave514

Not by thing either but I wonder if the Elephant population isn't benefited by these hunts. Why let an older male die when his permit fee can pay for the protection of all elephants from poachers?

With 495,000 Elephants in Africa, and decreasing, do we think that the numbers are being affected by regulated hunting or by poaching? The law enforcement and poaching protection manpower is paid for....how?

From the article....
    It was shot on October 8 in a private hunting concession bordering Gonarezhou by a hunter who paid $60,000 (£39,000) for a permit to land a large bull elephant.......21-day game hunt including the Big Five of elephants, leopards, lions, buffalo and rhinoceros.

Louis Muller, chairman of the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters & Guides Association,...said his organisation paid as much as 70 per cent of its hunting fees back to the local community and observed quotas for animals. “This is good for Zimbabwe and good for local people,” he said. “It’s not uncommon for hunters to spend $100,000 (£64,551) each trip.”

Additonally,
    Armed rangers in South Africa's Kruger National Park have killed nearly 500 poachers from neighboring Mozambique in the past five years, according to Mozambique's former president Joaquim Chissano.
    ....Poaching is also common inside Mozambique. Poaching gangs have killed about half of the country's elephants, with the species population declining from 20,000 to 10,300 in recent years, according to the Wildlife Conservation Society, a US environmental group.

https://news.vice.com/article/south...ly-killed-500-poachers-in-the-past-five-years

Point being, if these fees are what is paying for park rangers then I don't have a problem with it at all.

Fred Hansen likes this.
  7. MooMooBoo

MooMooBoo

Do you hate rich people? Seems like it with your comment.

I mean is there really any sport in treestand hunting? Or using your car to get to your hunting spot? You realize how nuch of that money benefits the economy?

8. refugeepj

refugeepj

from a different angle that would look a lot like my ex wife.

ca survivor likes this.
  9. MajJamesMcFarlane

MajJamesMcFarlane

I'm torn. I've killed animals and I eat meat but it's not an enjoyable process. I can understand the excitement of a successful hunt but I've seen men who get joy out of dropping the hammer and it makes me sick.

On the other hand I can understand getting dumb rich white guys to pay out the nose to cull an animal that was so disruptive to the population that eventually you were going to have to pay a park employee to walk up to the thing and put a couple of 7.62 rounds behind the ear. I'm all about auctioning the trigger pull off if some dummy wants to pay for it. I don't personally get any positive feelings out of a story like this but it's like organ donation, you can turn a bad situation into a less bad situation.

10. paul45

paul45

11. Solideogloria

Solideogloria

One killed by a paying hunter, 40 killed by cyanide poisoning poachers in the last two weeks.......

ca survivor likes this.
  12. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Many places in Southern Africa have TOO MANY elephants. Hunting not only helps the local economy, but helps preserve already burdened habitat.

I took this pic in a country that doesn't allow hunting. The ranger said they had way too many elephants and they were constantly causing problems in the park. Plus, with so many, they are a draw for poachers and more difficult to monitor.

[​IMG]

Dave514 likes this.
  13. Jake Starr

Jake Starr

I enjoy eating a good steak.

Bruce M and Caver 60 like this.
  14. MajJamesMcFarlane

MajJamesMcFarlane

I worded that poorly. I love eating meat. Killing the animals is the less than enjoyable process. I know where my meat comes from, I have hunted, I've killed animals but I don't like picking up a bird and twisting it's head off.

15. papershoot

papershoot

Below is why animal reserve land will continue to be threatened going forward. Managed hunting actually helps preserve endangered species by providing another economic incentive for countries to keep reserved land for animals.

[​IMG]

16. peng

peng

Oh no. The elephant didn't have a cute name did it ? Let's all prepare to have our awareness raised of how terrible this is by the legions of moronic twitter lemmings.

silentpoet likes this.
  17. Santa CruZin

Santa CruZin Searching

If I made a long list of things I wanted to do because I legally can and I can afford it, flying to Africa to kill an elephant or big cat would never occur to me. Just the way I was raised I suppose. I think I'll call my folks and thank them.

18. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Where the turbines scream, and the door guns gleam
    Super jealous. Would love to be able to collect the big 5.

G36's Rule likes this.
  19. Pawcatch@aol.co

[email protected]

Do you consider wrong for a person to enjoy that process?
    I enjoy work of all type, whether it be assembly work, laying down a bead, or taking a life for food .

20. Gixxerjoe04

Gixxerjoe04

I hate rich people because I'm not one haha, anyways if one elephant being legally hunted makes you mad, you should see the number illegally poached just for the tusks, that should make you irate.