close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LARGE LCD Monitors - recommendations?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Ragin Cajun, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

I presently have a 21" standard high resolution CRT running AUTOCAD. It looks like it may be finally "going."

Anyone out there have one of the large LCD'S? The bigger the better. Resolution for the fine "drawing lines" is critical.

Thanks

2. colsankey

colsankey

I would look at the Dell series or Acer LCD monitors.

One thing to keep in mind your 21" CRT likely has a viewable area of only 19 or 20" if you measure the actual picture corner to corner \

A dell 19" LCD is 19" viewable and will likely run about $300, plus it doesnt have frequeny issues like CRTs (so you only need to run 60hz vs 70 or 85 if your affected by crts).

1280x1024 is probably lots of resolution for you on that big of a screen, but if not, there are other options.

3. pyblood

pyblood

4. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

What resolution do you run at now? 19s and some 20s will only do SXGA (1280x1024) screen resolution. Some of the 20s and "20.1s" will do UXGA (1600x1200) resolution. For an exta inch of diagonal area you get 30% more pixels. If you like fine resolution, UXGA is the way to go.

5. El Capitan

El Capitan Kalibanned

I just went thru this same scenario.

I had a viewsonic 21" crt for years.

I just bought a dell 24" lcd, and man oh man it is nice and clear. I read quite a few reviews of lcd's and this one really shines.

I got it on ebay from a unversity division that had bought too many, new unopened for $650 + shipping.

At first I was afraid of the size and the endless resolution, but now after about 3 weeks, I'm using every inch of it and could even understand those that would want the insane dell 30".

BTW, I'm a full time Acad user.

6. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

24" - WOW.

I do use 1200 x 1600 for ACAD.

I thought the LCD's bigger than 21" were the "wide screen" type. Do they try to fill the screen and mess up ACAD?

Guess I better check E-bay

Thanks

7. El Capitan

El Capitan Kalibanned

Ya, its essentially a 21" widescreen, ie, same height but more width, which ends up being really handy for having toolbars open on the side (especially in Viz/Max), or multiple aps open side by side.

It's native resolution is 1920X1200.

And although its wide, it has a smaller presence on my table than the 21" CRT, which was a monster in case size and weight.
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_UltraSharp_2405FPW/4505-3174_7-31335738.html

You're biggest problem would be if your vid card wouldn't readily support resolution this size.

8. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

Thanks,

Have to check out my video card. It's several years old as is the computer. My 21" CRT is much older. Paid a fortune for it!!

Running ACAD 2005 or so, forgot which, too many yearly upgrades. That's another thing, I need to get the latest - AGAIN!! $$$

R - C