Large Format...

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by mhambi, Jan 5, 2010.

1. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

anyone? :rofl:

What camera do you (have you) used, and what film holder?

I'm finally getting around to CLAing my Graphex shutter (hangs on 1/25 and slower) and cleaning up the Speed Graphic it goes on. I want to change out the Polaroid 545 Land film holder it came with, but don't know what to replace it with.

Oh, and I need a new ground glass too. I'm thinking about making my own....

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

None of the cameras below I owned, but I used them in a studio very long time ago.

Linhof Master Technika - used it very little.
    Sinar Alpina - used it very little.
    Optimus (sp?), 8x10 monster we used for product photography. I don't know if that company still exists, or if they still make cameras if they do exist. They were German, I believe. That one I used the most. It took board-mounted Schneider and Rodenstock lenses. Very cool, with a huge matte glass.

Trip down memory lane. ;)

Out of curiosity, what do you plan to use it for? Just out of sentiment?

Edited to add: I think I just found it (or at least it looks eerily similar):

http://media.photobucket.com/image/optimus 8x10/ic-racer/ShenHao810.jpg

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010

3. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Cool! :cool:

I've been wanting to do some large format landscape stuff for a while now... mostly to increase my skill base (thinking carefully about every detail for each shot, rather than the digi-mindset of shoot a crapload and hope something is good) and because they can look so dang awesome when done right. I picked up a Graflex Crown Graphic from a guy about 1.5 years ago for a steal, but haven't gotten around to using it yet.

and it looks like it might be a little while longer.... during my detail strip and clean I've found that the shutter has a broken cocking lever spring. :sad: So I either have to try to find/make a replacement or buy a new shutter. The lens is an Optar 4.6 135mm that's in great shape.

Maybe a watch repair shop might have some spring stock that would work....

:wavey:

4. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

[​IMG]

The shutter in question.

5. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

That's all in your mind. Use a tripod with your digital camera, use handheld meter, and spend all the time in the world thinking about every detail.

Besides, taking more than one shot is instructive as well. You can see the result of various choices and learn from them.

Ouch.

6. mhambi

mhambi κολασμένος

Good points. :thumbsup: