Large dog breed psychiatrists, please help me about a mourning Lab

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by nitesit(+ an e), Apr 10, 2016.

1. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Sheepdog

This week we put our black lab down. He was almost fourteen years old and it was just time. But Damn that was hard to do. His whole life he slept with us and went everywhere with us. He loved our three house cats and a little toy Shih-Tzu.

Six years ago we brought home a chocolate lab girl named Bailey, who was just off of weaning. For the past six years she has never known a single day without her Alpha male Sam and they were absolutely happy because they were together constantly.

I thought that I and my wife were taking this pretty hard since Thursday when Sam's life ended. But Bailey has barely eaten anything for three days, she is lethargic, and when she is outside she just piles up her favorite toys we always play with and it seems like she just hugs her toys and mourns and is broken-hearted. Inside she just lays around and barely responds to petting and tickling.

[​IMG]

This will pass, I know. But how long should it take, and what can I do other than play with her and stimulate her to do fun stuff without Sam by her side?

Thanks.

Dave (nitesite)

2. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

A new buddy,a pup or a rescue.'08.

3. BigBull 301

BigBull 301

Get her active. Go to a dog park and get her around other dogs.

4. kaisooba

kaisooba

So sorry for your loss. As my Vet say's no dog will starve them self.
    Time will help both of you. Been there done that...not fun it sucks!

5. paparockcal

paparockcal

It takes time, I'm 66 and it hurts like hell. I just went through this at my home. My 17 year old female Toy Poodle and best friend died; my wife was worried about me as she was my shadow. It was hard and I cried for many days even though I knew her heart just wore out. She was special and there will never be another in my lifetime that will be able to replace her; she was that special and that intelligent. I swear if she would have started talking I would not have been surprised. Our 10 year old male Toy Poodle went into grief. My wife and I found a white female toy poodle to adopt because our male has always had "a thing" for white female dogs but even then it took him several months before he has finally warmed up to fully accept the new female in our pack. Such is grief as we all have to go through it in our own way and speed.

6. nitesit(+ an e)

nitesit(+ an e) Sheepdog

Thank you everyone for the advice. Bailey is doing great once again.