close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Large Capacity mags for AA 22lr kits?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by DS12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. DS12

DS12

Anyone know of any coming out or has anyone made one?

2. bigleaf

bigleaf

Their website says that, since they're manufactured in CA, they'll only make 10 rd mags. When I got mine (to fit my 26) I looked at the Ciener (sp?) conversion kits, which have higher capacity, but those slides don't lock back on empty, like the AA kits do.

Since I am saving so much money on .22 v 9mm, I figured I'd just buy more of their 10 rd mags. At least, on the G26, they're exactly the same round count as the 9mm setup.

I would be interested if anyone's done some successful mag modding.

3. ken grant

ken grant

You can use a spring plug and follower for a 26/27 mag(AA) and get the mags to hold more rds.
    The only thing is, AA will not sell you the plug & follower to do this.
    You can modify your parts to hold more rds.( shorten plug & follower legs)
    I have not tried this but have read of others doing it.

There is a guy who makes shorter plugs that you can order. he was on the Sig forum but I lost his Website address.

4. ViperR

ViperR

I think it's www.sigpower.com. He's a regular here and you have to search for the thread about AA problems. Long thread about 10 pages. Plug mod or fabing one would be easy, but my concern is the spring tension when you get to the last couple of rounds. Maybe not enough to raise the follower or activate the slide hold open feature.

5. RichardB

RichardB Silver Member

Unless you are just tinkering or experimenting why bother? 22 conversions can be pretty finicky and I don't see the need to possibly make them less reliable. Just buy a few extra AA factory made magazines. In a SHTF situation one would not be using 22 anyway.

6. ken grant

ken grant

I have not read of any spring problems with mags that have been modified.

One way to check it out would be to remove the spring plug and tape the floorplate in place and see what happens.

I do know that Ciener uses the same springs for his 10 & 15 rd. mags.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  7. Flipz

Flipz

In regards to the spring lossing some of its power when you cut down the plug. Just get a new spring with a higher tension. The guy on the Sig forum you are referring to has a website called Sigpower.com. He sells higher tension springs to account for the shortened plug. I plan on getting some for my Sig .22lr conversion mags along with the reduced plugs. People that have purchased the shortened plugs and higher tension springs from his website have not reported any problems. In fact, they have said that their mags feed better. Now this is with the Sig conversion mags, not sure how they would work with the AA mags.

Im gonna take one of my AA mags and one of my Sig .22lr mags apart and compare the spring and plug. I'll report back with my observations. I think the plugs are basically the same and so are the springs. So the additions of the Sigpower.com springs and plugs should add more rounds while keeping the mag reliable.

Let me compare the AA mags and the Sig .22lr mags and I'll let you know what I find out.

EDIT:
    Ok, i just took apart an AA mag and a Sig .22lr conversion mag. The springs are basically the same length. Really hard to even notice a difference in length. The AA spring has a little more tension and is very very very slightly wider in diameter. I think the tiny bit of extra diameter in the AA mags accounts for the extra spring tension. The extra diameter of the AA spring also makes it so it fits a little to snug in the Sig mag. The Sig spring slides right into the AA mag without a problem. This is a good thing. It means that the higher tension springs from Sigpower.com should work just fine in the AA mags.

Now the plugs:
    The AA plug fits to tightly in the Sig mag that if you were to insert it all the way it would be really hard to get out. The Sig plug on the other hand fits just fine in the AA mag. This is a good thing. It means that the shortened plugs from Sigpower.com should also work in the AA mags.

So the combination of the the Sigpower.com springs and plugs "should" work in the AA mags. I cant be 100% until I try it, but it should work. I plan on ordering some springs and plugs from Sigpower in the next couple of days for my Sig conversion mags anyways. So Im gonna test them out in the AA mags also and see if they increase the round count at all. Im just about positive that they will, but not sure by how much. Im guessing that they will increase the AA mags capacity by 3 to 5 extra rounds.

I'll report back after I receive the new plugs and springs from Sigpower and have had a chance to test them out in the AA mags. Keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  8. ViperR

ViperR

Thanks Flipz for being the test subject! I have several AA mags and what I see is approx 13 round capacity on the AA mags. Keep us posted!
    Vipe

9. Glocken-spiel

Glocken-spiel

i did this mod a while back using the sig power plug and an AA G19 mag. the best i could net was 1 additional round. i could get 2 added rounds in the mag, but there was no more "springiness" left, so when the mag was inserted into my G26 it wouldn't lock in place (the extra bullet pressed into the bottom of the slide). so i tried trimming the follower a little at its base, but it didn't make any difference.

so that was my experience. i haven't tried to mess with again since.

10. DS12

DS12

That sucks.

Well the TacSol 22lr Kit coming out this summer says they are coming with 14rd Black Dog mags, hopefully Black Dog will offer a DRUM ADAPTER :wow: wow that would be the ****!

11. Flipz

Flipz

You only got 1 additional round becuase you're using an AA G26 mag. An AA G17 mag will be able to be increased by 3-5 extra rounds.

Edit: Sorry I should have read your post again. I see you were using G19 mags now. Using that as an example I think an AA G17 mag should be able to fit 3 extra rounds with the shortened plug and new spring.

Can I ask if you modified the plug yourself? Were you using the original spring?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  12. DS12

DS12

sounds like an awesome deal - $30 for a spring and follower for 3, yes 3 whopping rounds. NICE.

So let me get that right ... that's gonna be around $60 for a 13 round magazine.

LMFAO. yeah think I'll pass on that awesome deal.

13. Flipz

Flipz

The Spring is like $5 and so is the Plug. The follower SigPower sells is for the Sig .22lr conversion kit, not the AA kit. So it would be about $10 per mag (not $30) for an estimated 3 extra rounds in an AA G17-G22 mag. That's worth it in my opinion. I'm so sick of the 10 round mags.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  14. DS12

DS12

jeez, i was looking at the follower!

15. ViperR

ViperR

Go for it Flipz! I'll be the next to do this on my three 17-22 mags if it works out.

16. DS12

DS12

Someone make a drum please, or at least a 30rd mag!!!

17. DS12

DS12

No, screw the mag, someone make a drum!! haha

18. plasticpistol

plasticpistol

isn't there a new company coming out with a better 22lr conv kit? maybe their mags are higher cap

19. Flipz

Flipz

Tactical Solutions is the company youre talking about. Their kit is supposed to come out sometime this summer, maybe. I dont think anyone can say that it will be better or not. Simply put, its not out yet so theres no way to know. They say they will be offering their kit with either 10 (California) or 14 round mags. Their prototype at Shot Show looked really blocky, and I mean really blocky. That may be because they say the slide on their kit will be machined from steel, not aluminium like AA's kit's. Time will tell if their kit will be good or not. Oh by the way, the MSRP for Tactical Solutions kit is like $400+. Way more then the AA kit. Thanks, but no thanks. I'll stick with my trustworthy AA kit.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  20. DS12

DS12

drum drum drum