laquire treated brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by d62_4life, Jan 30, 2010.

1. d62_4life

d62_4life

Is their anything different i need to do to laquire treated brass . . . is it even safe to load . . . do i need to get it off . . . if so how?

2. WiskyT

WiskyT Malcontent

The only laquered cases I've seen are made from steel, not brass. I have read enough posts about reloading steel cases to conclude that it can be done, but is not worth the effort (for me).

If you can be more specific about the exact "brass" you are talking about, it would be easier to respond to your post.

3. fredj338

fredj338

Never heard of laquer coated brass cases. The steel Wolf stuff should NOT be loaded. I know some have, but it's highly NOT recommended. The mild steel cases are designed to fire & forget & do NOT have the ductility to reload safely.

4. Myke_Hart

Myke_Hart Handloader

If you have lacquer coated brass I would question how it got coated, or if it was actually brass. Brass just doesn't need a coating.

As stated above steel cased ammo is usually the only lacquer coated ammo out there.

Please post a picture or your coated brass including the headstamp. We might be able to shed some light on the maker of the brass for you speak about.

5. n2extrm

n2extrm

does it stick to a magnet? as the others say it is mostlikely steel.

6. jdavionic

jdavionic NRA Member

As others have said, not sure why you'd want to lacquer brass cases. The only cases that I have seen a lacquer finish on are steel cases. Why would you want to lacquer brass cases? :dunno:

7. CTSixshot

CTSixshot

I've read from another forum that the 5.7x28 cases are lacquer-coated for ease of extraction and these cases should not be tumbled to wear the lacquer away.
    Take it for what it's worth...other calibers...?

8. DoctaGlockta

DoctaGlockta

When I read the title I thought the OP was talking about some crazy French Foreign Legion brass or something. I was disappointed when I realized it was just a stoke error.

9. fredj338

fredj338

I would doubt that. Any coating placed on a brass case i snot going to help but likely hurt extraction. No oil, no moly, no laquer.

10. n2extrm

n2extrm

They claim it helps on steel cases. I believe it is for rust not extraction on steel cases. I have friends who have had problems with these in AR platformed gund sticking in the chambers. Others say BS. I think we all seem to agree they must be steel. Again some say "you can reload steel". DISSAGREE I would never reload steel cases. There is enough to go wrong in reloading without adding in steel cases. Same for aluminum. :wavey:

11. d62_4life

d62_4life

it is steel 9mm made in russia the brand is brown bear . . . pics on the way

12. n2extrm

n2extrm

Steel is not considered reloadable. some do, most will not. see freds above post #3

13. dudel

dudel

Is that stuff even boxer primed? Look down into the case. How many flash holes do you see?

That may put an end to the question real quick.

Update: A quick look at Brown Bear (which is their really, really cheapo stuff), below Silver Bear and Gold Bear. It's Berdan primed, and may even have corrosive primers.

If you shoot the stuff, clean your gun quickly and well.

Personally, I wouldn't shoot that stuff unless it was the last thing available when the SHTF.

Basically, forget about reloading it.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=infoBoxHeading width="100%" align=left>Product Description</TD></TR><TR><TD class=description width="100%" align=left>Description:
    Brown Bear Pistol Ammunition
    Features lacquered steel case construction; hence the Brown Bear name. Berdan primed. Loaded to exacting standards normally reserved for military specification ammo.

Additional Information:
    9mm Luger

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=infoBoxHeading width="100%" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD class=description width="100%" align=left>
    http://www.dkgtrading.com/bearammo/

Even their top of the line "Golden Bear" is "in which a brass coating encases the steel case" and still berdan primed.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=infoBoxHeading width="100%" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD class=description width="100%" align=left>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=infoBoxHeading width="100%" align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD class=description width="100%" align=left>

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010