close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Laptop XP install issue

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by ReAX222, Aug 12, 2006.

1. ReAX222

ReAX222

here's the whole story http://forums.gideontech.com/index.php/topic,33992.0.html

I am trying to install a new hard drive and a fresh install of XP on my laptop that does not have a floppy or CD drive. It's been a bear.

The method that has gotten me the closest is sys-ing the drive from a w98 boot disk and coping the i386 folder. I ran smartdrv and winnt, setup went through the text portion fine. When it rebooted I got the lovely "ntldr is missing." I have the HD hookup up on my computer and I am hoping to find an edit I can do with out reinstalling.

It's a difficult problem, anyone have any hints?

2. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

If you believe that freedos was loaded correctly you may have a cmos configuration problem. Is LBA mode enabled in your cmos? I would toggle that setting and try to boot again regardless.

3. ReAX222

ReAX222

I didn't get freedos to work the first few times. Instead a booted the mobile HD on my desktop with a w98 boot disk and sys c: for an easy OS. The laptop will boot to dos and run the winnt install. It's the reboot that's sticking me now.

I am pass dos, it was booting xp when the problem occured. I am not even sure if the problem resides in the boot.ini, but it was always a good place to start with ntldr issues.

4. Brass Nazi

Brass Nazi NO BRASS FOR U!

Sorry I misunderstood your question.

5. neeko

neeko

does your laptop's NIC support PXE?

6. ReAX222

ReAX222

Telephone modem only no nic.

7. ReAX222

ReAX222

8. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

I have often wondered what use, if any, people still find for these dinosaurs...

Besides running Linux on, of course.

But, even then, the only logical candidates have some means of transferring data into and out of them.

Maybe if you installed a Cardbus PCMCIA card and configured a Network Bootup?

Otherwise...what would you use the thing for if it did boot XP?

9. ReAX222

ReAX222

I bought it for datalogging in my truck. I don't really need a cd drive when riding down the road. It was also a nice web browser for in front of the TV. I used a wireless card when it was running. With a few tweaks XP runs decent on anything 500mhz with 256Mb ram and up. clean out the xtra pretty and XP is the latest w2k.

I ebayed an ultradock, the CD and floppy in it should be bootable and end my problems.

10. HVAC-TEK

HVAC-TEK

Other than a network installation, I don’t know.

I was originally thinking of pulling the hard drive, slapping it in another laptop, formatting it, and copying the OS directory into it.

But the problem with that is....No cd, no floppy. So there is no basic OS. No way to give the command to begin the install.

I recommend buying a basic external cd rom.

Less headaches

K

11. ReAX222

ReAX222

I too have given up. I found the dock with cd and floppy on ebay. Hopefully it will have bootable drives and my problem will be solved.