close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Laptop woes

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Maelstrom, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom MiniCapitalist

Something got hosed up on my laptop and it wouldn't start up normally or in safe mode.

I can't find my windows xp home recovery/boot disk. Someone lent me an ubuntu recovery disk and I have copied onto a flash drive the documents I need.

Is there somewhere a GTer would recommend that I can download a recovery disk for my laptop?

Other suggestions?

Thanks!

2. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Make and model of your laptop would probably help. There'll be a "model number" somewhere on or near the serial number sticker and that model number would be a good thing in addition to make as well.

3. Maelstrom

Maelstrom MiniCapitalist

It's a Dell laptop. Here are the numbers that were on the sticker on the bottom. There was also a product key so let me know if that is helpful as well?

OU7670

00043-693-295-939

x11-45374

Thanks!

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Are you sure its a software problem? It might be since you can boot a Live CD. That's not the model of your laptop(or at least none I could find).. Is it a Dell Dimension, XPS, etc..? then a model #.. You might see a screen when the machine turns on that briefly says what the model is.

Edit: I tried putting a couple of those numbers in Dell.com for a tag search, but they all come back to desktops... If you don't know the model # of your Laptop, see if you can find the Tag#, that should tell you the make/model. One search I done turned up an Ebay hit that suggests it could be a Dell Dimension 3100... but thats far from concrete.

http://support.dell.com/support/top...dentifyyoursystem?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~mode=popup

IGF

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

6. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

If you want to start over from scratch and have access to another PC and you don't have your recovery CD.

1. Contact Dell and see how much it would cost to get one. Maybe too much

2. If you have a friend or co-worker that has XP home borrow theirs, use another computer to go to Dells website and download drivers for your model(video,network,soundcard,motherboard, etc) install your buddies but use YOUR key

3. If no one has it, use bitorrent to download a XP Home OEM Installation disc from another PC and burn it to disc and use your key with it when you install, you'll still have to do like step 2 and download drivers from Dell

Thats if you want to wipe and reinstall. Not enough info to help if you want to try and salvage the installation as is

7. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Dang you HerrGlock you beat me by a minute

8. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

With those numbers it's a Dell Inspiron 6000

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Hmm.. which one did you use? I kept getting an Optiplex Desktop.. ;)

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

2. Won't work. Most of the Torrent download OS's, is for the OEM version. The key's for the OEM version, do not work on the models that come pre-installed on PC's...

3. Same problem.

Given the fact the OP seems a bit limited in his PC expertise, option 1 is the only real answer.

IGF

11. Glock20 10mm

Glock20 10mm Use Linux!

Wow your post exemplifies the total PITA it is to rent or operate Winders!!!

12. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

I downloaded an XP Home Disc off a torrent and used the Key on the side of the PC and it worked fine, no problems.

13. Maelstrom

Maelstrom MiniCapitalist

Hmm software, could be for all I know.

ME 051

bios a04?

Does that sound better?

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Did you download a disk that was specific to your model? The OEM keys, Full Retail Install keys, and the keys you get from the manufacturer, are different, and not cross compatible.

IGF

15. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

No... I would break out the Credit card, and call Dell. When you don't know something as simple as the model of your laptop, getting online help is going to be next to impossible.

Assuming HerrGlock is correct, its an Inspiron 6000, but like I said, when I put the numbers in I kept getting a desktop, not a laptop. You can go to restoredisks.com and purchase a disk for your laptop, as long as you have the key to enter while installing. It looks like they have a restore disk for a Inspiron 6000 for $38.

IGF

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  16. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Now according to those it's an inspiron too.

Call Dell.

17. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

Nope the torrent say Windows XP Home SP3 OEM I've actually used it more than once.

Once on a buddies dell laptop and the other on this ladies HP desktop. I didn't think it was going to work either but it did..

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Agreed..

IGF

19. Daps

Daps Always Vigilant

I agree with calling Dell FYI and posted that in my 1st post. Don't want anything I'm trying to get him to do something else, but was just trying to give him another option.