close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Laptop wireless internet through Verizon without using your cell phone?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by thaddeus, Jul 30, 2006.

1. thaddeus

thaddeus Millennium Member

I need to pick up a laptop that will allow me to get access to the internet when I am in random locations throughout Phoenix Metro. I sell Real Estate and I need to be able to look up houses etc through the internet for clients as well as be able to work through the internet from random neighborhoods.

A guy at CompUSA told me I can get a laptop and sign on with Verizon for $60 a month and have unlimited wireless internet access through some kind of cell phone signal without even using my cell phone but the laptop will directly call Verizon. (I have heard of setups where you plug your cell phone into your computer and use your phone to access the internet, and I do not mind that method but the setup he was describing sounded really cool).

Is it really that simple and cheap?

I don't need anything fancy, just access to the internet. I'd like to spend less than $1000.

What is the best way for me to achieve what I am trying to do for the least amount of money? From what he is saying I can buy a laptop for like $500-$800 and get this hookup for $60 a month and be able to logon to the net from anywhere. Is it really that simple and great, and is that the best way to do it?

I just don't know much about computers and don't want to get ripped off by a salesman.

Any advice?

thanks!

PS- I know some people with laptops and a standard wireless connection and they just use a detector to find a random signal and get onto the internet that way for free. I don't mind doing it that way too if it is a lot cheaper and reasonably reliable.

2. Mighty HD

Mighty HD Got Wax?

Our company gives us wireless internet's for our laptop's. It's required for our jobs as we are all over the place.

Stay far away from sprint...very very poor and slow.
    Cingular is a bit better
    Verizon and Altell are by far the best and fastest.

One guy at work uses his personal laptop/cell phone to surf the web when times are slow in the field---we did a speed test the other day and that sucker was nailing 1.5mbps through his cell phone. I thought that was pretty darn good myself.

Is where they get you is the contract!

3. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

You need to look at the coverage maps for EVDO (Verizon and Sprint) and EDGE (Cingular). EVDO is faster.

They are generally dedicated wireless cards, although there are phones which support browsing (and/or use as a modem).

Good Luck.

4. js_gresham

js_gresham Where am I? CLM

I have a verizon wireless aircard, yup, $60/month. The speed isn't bad, but it's not great.

Some of the newer laptops actually have the circuitry built in so you don't even need the card.

j

5. Altaris

Altaris

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Just to be clear, you don't need a cell phone? I've never heard of this, thats why I ask...

Hitching a ride on someone elses connection could work, but I don't think I'd like the idea of that.

IGF

7. EvilGenius

EvilGenius

You don't need to have a phone per say, but you'll need the service and a PC Card that looks like this one

I use sprint, it's not that great

8. js_gresham

js_gresham Where am I? CLM

That is correct. It's a PC card (used to be called PCMCIA). It, for all intents and purposes, is a cell phone. It just doesn't have a speaker, microphone or dialing pad. Your computer sees it as a modem.

I get "almost broadband" speed out of mine.

I can't really justify the $60/month for it (it is unlimited bandwidth, and is sufficient for reading GlockTalk haha) but it's been too much fun to get rid of.

As long as I can still afford practice ammo, I guess it's okay. ;)

Anyway, you have the card, they assign it a phone number. It shows up on your monthly bill. The thing that kind of sucks about it is the fact that it doesn't count towards a family plan or anything. :(

9. thaddeus

I need to get an inexpensive laptop that I can hook up with one of these phone cards.

Can any of you point me to an inexpensive laptop that is good enough to set up in this way by hooking up the phone card?

All I need to do is get on the internet and do some work online so I don't need anything fancy at all.

I don't even mind buying a used laptop but I don't know what kind of ports or technology I need to use the phone card. What kind of port does the card go into and what are some minimum OS and hardware requirements to use one of those cards?

Thanks for the info!

10. betyourlife

betyourlife on a GLOCK

If all you really want to do is surf the web and stuff like that, you can get an Acer aspire series for $500 brand new. For that price, don't expect to play games or to have a 100g hard drive. They have the wireless card built in (like most laptops these days).

11. MikeG22

MikeG22 CLM

Any newish laptop will work fine with it. Windows XP is good to have. I have a verizon card and it's pretty freakin cool. We have the EVDO nearly everywhere I need it and it works very well. If you need to use it on the road it's great. No more having to have a starbucks account and then trying to find one so you can get on the net.

12. thaddeus

Wait....you are throwing me for a loop here. Every store I have bee nin says that I have to buy the Verizon card for $49 with a two-year contract.

ARe you sure they come with the kind of card I am talking about? Not just a wireless card that picks up a signal at like Starbucks, but the kind of card I can call up through a cell service from anywhere?

If so, how do I hook it up to a cell service?