Laptop recommendations

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Trey83, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Trey83

Trey83

I am going back to school in the near future and I am in need of a new laptop. I would love a new Macbook Air but that just isn't in the budget. I will mostly just be using it for school and internet surfing. I don't need a huge hard drive for movies or music. I might use it for photo and video editing but that certainly isn't a priority. Budget is $600 so what would you guys recommend? I would prefer one that is light and slim but no smaller than 13"

Thanks in advance.

2. FullClip

FullClip Native Mainiac CLM

3. TBO

TBO Why so serious? CLM

1504 7th Street South, Minneapolis, MN 55454
    Visit Tomshardware.com daily to check on links to hot deals.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk 2

4. Gallium

Gallium CLM

How old are you?
    How long is "school"?
    What level of education are we talking about?
    What country are you in?

5. bigtimelarry

bigtimelarry

Order from walmart online. My wife got a great Laptop that is working perfect. She loves it and paid 535.00 total

6. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

7. Trey83

Trey83

:rofl: I thought it was going to be a link to a for sale ad.

Thanks, I will check into that.

8. vart

vart

Lots of great advice in the thread I started last week...

9. Trey83

Trey83

4-5 years (just getting started) :embarassed:
    Bachelor's degree
    US

10. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Me? I would go to Best Buy and look at some in person. I found a $1,000 17" Toshiba Satellite on sale for $600.00. I touch type so how the keyboard felt was important and this one has a near full size keyboard and an actual number pad on the side. You also can't really tell what the display looks like from pictures, can't hear the speakers either. Asus makes a good laptop too.

11. Gallium

Gallium CLM

This stuff is important, if you were starting your Jr year of high school, or GOING OFF to start college at 18, I might recommend another price point.

You live in the US, so tech support is not a biggie, you are not young enough to be bedazzled by marketing BS, or have a need to fit in with the in-crowd.

Now, are there any specific computer needs for your degree program?

How long do you plan on keeping the laptop (in other words, how much money do you have to throw away? :) )

Whatever you get, if it has a conventional hard disk, in 18-24 months it will feel and seem slower than when you got it. I always recommend to my associates that they "spruce up" their laptops around this time, versus getting a new one. Today, one of the most cost efficient ways to get your laptop hustling a little faster is to slap a SSD drive in it.

What photo and video editing do you plan on doing? I said the same thing when I purchased my last (four) laptops, the extent of my photo editing has been to use Microsoft Picture Manager to autocorrect and resize pictures before I send grandma pics of her grand kids.

I assume you will not be living on campus. You might be better off with a desktop at home, and a Nook/Nexus type device for school.

- G

12. Trey83

Trey83

Ice
    I currently am in sales so i understand the value of your questions :wavey:

I'd be thrilled if it lasted through school. My last laptop crashed on me after 10months ( covered by warranty) and again three months later (now a paper weight). I would love something with a 128g SSD but don't expect to find that in my price range. I probably won't really be doing any editing but I have a 3 month old baby that I plan to get many pics and videos of.

I will be attending school for accounting and while I don't know of any specific requirements, I doubt they will require much in terms of memory, graphics, ect.... A 10 key would be nice.

13. Taphius

Taphius

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013