Laptop recommendations for the wife

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Big Dog Dad, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad NRA Patriot Life Member

My wife wants a laptop that she can carry to the back porch swing this summer and bask in the sun (or bird crap). The problem is that with her medical problems (within four steps this laptop will bounce off the ground at least three times - "oops, my hands are bad today"; "the screen is too small and I can't see it"; this means I need at least a 70" laptop; "I forgot how to turn it on"; the only thing more technically challenged is our labrador, and he's dead. I need a recommendation for a 17" that weighs 2 oz, has a trackpad that will withstand her pushing a dinner fork across it (don't suggest a mouse unless it has boat anchor chain on it because within those first four steps, she'll loose it), is rugged and costs less than $5.00 (she'll ***** about the price no matter what). Seriously, recommend a reliable laptop so she can sit outside (bonus - I can't hear her if she's outside) and spend 23.9 hours a day on facefart. Thanks!

-=BDD=-

mj9mm likes this.
  2. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Personally if it were me this is what I would look at. That being said I don't know what your budget is.

Check out a MacBook AIR with a hard cover case. If I were so inclined My MacBook Pro could probably be charged every 2-3 days and I hear the AIR's have better battery life.

Since I like being prepared I usually keep it on the charger when not in use.

If all she does on it is general surfing of the internet. You may be able to get away with an iPad Pro, in an otter box with a tempered glass screen protector. Depending on your wireless plan and iPad you buy you may be able to put 4G LTE access on it for $10 a month.

mj9mm likes this.

3. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad NRA Patriot Life Member

Thanks Gun Shark - She's on Win 7 for her facefart and hump a hiccup or whatever she plays when not on facefart. I've tried showing her things on my Ipad and the response was like total zoneout. Not a clue and worse, unwilling to learn a new operating system. I need to stay in the windows world, i.e., shutter just thinking about getting her into Win 10. It's going to be a long summer.

-=BDD=-

4. G29guy06

G29guy06

If she's on Win7 and is technologically challenged...while I'm a proponent of Mac- she may have issues w/ the change over

5. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

Windows variety, check out Dell XPS, Alienware, go to costco.com. they have a 90 day return policy on electronics.

All that being said. I would probably still go with mac or try an iPad. windows 7 is way different than windows 10 imho(it's the OS that pushed me to mac about a year ago) and it may be the same amount of work to teach her IOS or MacOS Sierra. That being said, you know your wife.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Honestly... I can't think of any laptop that's going to withstand the sort of abuse you're suggesting in the OP (unless you were kidding.. it's hard to tell.. but I'm tired).... so I would probably go the other direction, and try to keep it fairly inexpensive, as if what you're saying is accurate, it's unlikely to survive a year, and damage that would be caused by the things you're suggesting will not be covered by the warranty.

We both have a Lenovo Ideapad 110. She got hers first, and I liked it so much (and also needed a new laptop), I got me one. Caveat: We do not use Windows... so I can't really say how well they will run Windows 10.

7. dudel

dudel

Surface 3 (save some $ over the pro model).

Keyboard is magnetically attached (as is the power plug). If the keyboard pops off on a drop, hold the keyboard and the surface together, and they reconnect. Computer when you want it; tablet when you want a table. Large touchpad. If she damages the touchpad, just replace the keyboard. Gorilla glass, mag vapor case. Has been used as a skateboard (bing it).

8. drew4691

drew4691

I grew up on windows, never had a mac (other than iphone/ipad), and recently switched to Ubuntu. I barely know Linux, but Ubuntu is super easy graphical interface, it runs super fast, and not being windows, it is not that prone to virus.. It's got office built in, firefox, super fast, and best of all it's free. If you already have an older laptop, or can get a used one for cheap, maybe that could be an option if you don't want to ding up a new laptop.

9. Need4Speed

Need4Speed

I'd go with one of those micro-sized desktops, and a battery backup. Stuff all that in a backpack, and then shoulder mount a flat screen monitor with an optional keyboard tray. The whole thing ought to weigh somewhat less than 100 pounds, and be virtually indestructible if you use the right backpack. Runtime would depend on how big of a UPS you select, and how strong her legs are.

10. burnsoft

burnsoft

Well. This might be too bulky but the Panasonic tough book is one that is used by some police departments and some military, it is built to take a beating.

http://business.panasonic.com/toughbook/fully-rugged-laptop-toughbook-31.html

But last time I handled one was 13 years ago and it had some weight to it, maybe it has gotten better but most comes with and handle that might help her carry it

11. burnsoft

burnsoft

Well. This might be too bulky but the Panasonic tough book is one that is used by some police departments and some military, it is built to take a beating.

http://business.panasonic.com/toughbook/fully-rugged-laptop-toughbook-31.html

But last time I handled one was 13 years ago and it had some weight to it, maybe it has gotten better but most comes with and handle that might help her carry it