Laptop mouse is "ghosting"

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by glockrod, Mar 4, 2010.

1. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

Best term I could think of.

I have a detachable mouse hooked up to a USB port, and have the computer's mouse touchpad turned off. The mouse has a fresh battery.

Basically, you can still move the mouse with the touchpad as well as other problems. Without even touching the mouse pad, the cursor has a tendancy to just miraculously move to somewhere else on the desktop which leads to me typing stuff in various places when typing threads here or on any program that you type in(Word, excel, etc.). Also, without touching the pad or the enter key, whatever I am working in just acts like I did hit enter. I have had it happen posting on GT where the post would just be entered while I was typing. Either that or deleted.

So, is my laptop possessed!!LOL
    Am I just an idiot and have something turned on, or rather not turned off, that needs to be. I havent been able to locate any adjustment, but then again I am still learning Windows 7.

2. Gombu

Gombu

I have/had the same issue with my Dell. Wire line mouse solved the issue.

I hope to hear other comments on this topic.

3. g29andy

g29andy CLM

How old is the laptop? I used to have an ancient Dell that did same thing, fixed by updatind bios and drivers

4. glockrod

glockrod NRA-Endow. Life

I bought it August, 2009 and upgraded (by way of complete install) from Vista to 7 last month. It has been doing it pretty much since then. Maybe before then , but I dont remember/believe so. If it is an issue with the software, it seems I should be able to just correct it in the control panel, but how?

Rod

5. Drjones

Drjones

Download the latest touchpad drivers from dell or direct from the manufacturer (probably Synaptics). Uninstall the current drivers for your touchpad and then install the new ones.

Do you have a pointing stick in addition to a touchpad? If so, you are almost definitely hitting that while typing, or its getting vibrated enough to move the cursor. Disable that too.