close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Laptop external monitor problems...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TED, Jan 21, 2006.

1. TED

TED Millennium Member

A long time ago I completely destroyed the screen on my laptop. There is only a 2 inch vertical strip viewable on the left side. I had at one point, again long ago, and purely by chance and accident having no understanding of what happened and how, gotten an external CRT monitor to work for me. I then much later, yet still long ago, switched to an external LCD/flat panel and made that work for me.

Recently, I went on a job away from home and took my laptop with me thinking that I could play some games using their monitor hooked up to my laptop when I got there. Their computer sucks, but a monitor is a monitor and that was all that I should have needed I thought. I was not able to get it to work. I was able to extend my desktop onto the second screen but not able to get the two screens to have identical simultaneous displays (so that for example, when I start it up all my icons are shown on both screens). Worse, when I got back home I had the same problem.

What I have been trying, unsucessfully.

On startup F2, display mode, tried them all (CRT, LCD, and Simul mode)

I right click anywhere on the emtpy desktop space area and select properties and then it shows a two little symbols for monitors #1 and #2 and it has a little drop down menu that gives me the choice of default or plug and play. You would think that simply selecting plug and play would do what I want, but it does not.

I have no idea what I am doing, I am barely computer literate and only for the most common and trivial task. I am getting really frustrated and pissed off as I really NEED to be able to use this thing (I am on the other computer in the same room right now).

If someone can walk me through getting the external monitor to be either the only one tht displays anything past startup or for them both to dis[lay everything simultaneously, that would be VERY much appreciated.

Again, extending my desktop is NOT what I need but is as far as I have been able to get thus far.

TED

2. Toyman

Toyman

If you select the external monitor in the display properties, and select "Use this device as the primary monitor" and then select the other one and uncheck "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor" does that work?

3. TED

TED Millennium Member

It does not even allow me to do that.

TED