close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Laptop Dell Inspiron 17 Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Mr V, Feb 14, 2010.

1. Mr V

Mr V

Ok, I'll be up front and say right off the bat "old person who knows nothing about computers."
    We (wife and I) are replacing our very old desktop. Originial idea was to replace with another desktop, which led to me asking several questions on this site (thanks for the help!).
    After all that research and questions we went back to square one and decided to go with a laptop.
    So we are thinking of going with a Dell Ispiron 17
    Core i3-330M 2.13GHz
    Dell Wireless 1520 802.11n
    My question is : does wireless mean wi-fi?
    Is wi-fi built into evey laptop these days?
    Will want to set up a wireless router so we can move it around. I assume that is just an easy plug and go thing.

Thanks again for the help.

2. Kith

Kith

Yes, wireless and wifi are the same term

Wireless (wifi ) comes in four flavors: A / B / G / N
    Just make sure your wireless router and laptop are the same and you will be fine.

Later standards are usually reverse compatible, so if you are a wireless G laptop, you can use A and B as well.

SOME laptops that say "wireless N" are ONLY wireless N, they did this mostly on netbooks to save money. I mention this because your description says wireless N, so dig a little deeper and find out if it also supports A/B/G.

The documentation that comes with your computer will tell you what it is, or it may even be on the side of the box where it lists the system specifications.

I would also make one other recommendation:
    A laptop overheats pretty easily, and over time it'll get worn down from excess heat.

They make these awesome little 'pads' that you can put underneath a laptop so it is not resting on a table directly. Even if your vents are not on the bottom of the laptop (they are getting better with this...finally) just the base sitting on the table will get hot over time.

You don't need a crazy contraption with fans and stuff, just something to prop up the laptop a little bit so it doesn't sit directly on the table.

Also - unlike a desktop computer, a laptop will last longer if you actually turn it off when you are done with it, and close the lid. Helps keep dust out, and prevents excess heat buildup from sitting on overnight when no one is using it.

Good luck with the new laptop, i'm sure you will enjoy it much !

3. Drjones

Drjones

I have to suggest that you rethink things & look at a desktop. Although prices have fallen drastically while performance & technology has greatly improved, you still get MORE for your money with a desktop, period.

You can get a much larger monitor and far more comfortable & productive full-size mouse & keyboard for about the same price, not to mention the much larger hard drive & extra RAM you'll get with a desktop over a laptop.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if you use a laptop as a desktop & keep it plugged in all the time, this will kill the battery fairly quickly.

Your call in the end, of course, but just some food for thought.

4. Mr V

Mr V

Thanks sooo much for the help!!
    Will dig into the A/B/G/N issue and find out.

5. jarubla

jarubla Dos Pistolas

Good choice on brand, I have not regretted any of my Dell or Mac purchases over the last decade.

I say go lappy route, and just be prepared to cycle the battery (on AC, off AC). I get about 4 hours on mine when running itunes/browsing internet. It lasts significantly longer when I turn down the brightness, deactivate the wifi, and just listen to itunes.

My current laptop I have bought several batteries and PSUs for over the last 5 years, but the mobilty is well worth it. Replacement parts are cheap too for after that factory warranty :)

YMMV, but we use ours to watch DVDs, catchup on our fave shows via hulu, itunes, and browse the internet.

-Jay