close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Laphroaig Single Malt Scotch. WOW.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Restless28, Nov 22, 2012.

1. RoyHinkley

RoyHinkley Bonafide User

My nephew bought a bottle of Laphroaig and after one drink decided it wasn't for him. He gave it to my brother who wouldn't even try it. My brother gave it to me and I have quickly acquired a liking to it but my wife can't stand the smell! A little over halfway through the bottle and it gets better with every pour. Definitely benefits from the splash of water. Now I need to make arrangements to go see my 1sf of property.

2. Hawkwood

Hawkwood

I attended a Burns Supper last night with friends and we had a dozen single-malts from around the regions of Scotland to choose from. Lagavulin 16 was one of the choices and everyone agreed that it was a flavor akin to iodine that had been filtered through a sweaty gym sock salvaged from a tragic fire. It's pretty strong. Personally, I prefer the Speyside single-malts. Balvenie Doublewood is my personal favorite and I brought a bottle for last night's after-party celebration to toast the finalization of my divorce! :)

3. concretefuzzynuts

concretefuzzynuts Brew Crew

It is very good and I am a fan of the scotches from Islay. Try it with some smoked salmon or blue cheese.

And for the novice it is pronounced:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShDob0gDpTY"]How To Pronounce Islay - YouTube[/ame]

4. Green_Manelishi

Green_Manelishi Knicker Knotter

Chan eil !!!

Eye-luh, not Eye-lay. Fekkin' Sasannachs !!!

In Gaelic it's pronounced "Ee-luh".

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  5. Green_Manelishi

"Everyone" needs to be educated.

Tell me, what possessed "everyone" to filter iodine through a sweaty sock that barely survived a fire, then drink the iodine?

6. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

:perfect10:

7. Krigloch

Krigloch BACONEER

I thought the 10 was really good until I tried the Quarter Cask.
    AMAZING! I think it's my favorite scotch

8. concretefuzzynuts

Easy there big dog. Think of your health.

I spoke to a Scottish friend and you are right about the pronunciation.

9. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Not at twice the price, and less smokey, it won't! Lagavulin is deliciously smooth, but, if one is really into the smoke, as I am, I'd rather have two bottles of Laphroaig 10 yr old, for the money! That's just my opinion, and yes the quarter cask is special to say the least!

Restless, if you haven't given Bowmore Legend a try, please do! It doesn't compare in smoothness to the other mentioned, but for $26/750, it's worth a try!

10. AZLawDawg

AZLawDawg Oh, Oh, Oh!!

You ain't doin' too bad there.

11. Green_Manelishi

My "health"? :rofl:

Tha fhios agam.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  12. concretefuzzynuts

13. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Thought I would share here. I was just at my local Total Wine getting ready for the Super Bore game. I was looking for Laphroaig Quarter Cask but they didn't have any. I thought, "Well, I'll get the 10 yo Laphroaig then". Except they didn't have any of that either. What they had was the Laphroaig Triple Wood for around $60.00 and the Laphroaig 18 yo for $105.00. I deliberated briefly and went with the Triple Wood since I had never tried it before. There is no age on the bottle but it's probably around 8 yo. It is maturated in oak bourbon casks, spends an undetermined time in Quarter Casks, and then is finished in oak sherry casks. I like it, it is a Laphroaig after all, albeit with some sherry notes. That said if they have it and the Quarter Cask next time I will probably go with the Quarter Cask. The Triple Wood just doesn't have the punch of the Quarter Cask even though it is bottled at 48%. If you like Laphroaig and Balvenie and Macallan then maybe you should give this a try, or if your local spirits merchant is out of other Laphroaig's. In closing, it's not my favorite Laphroaig but it ain't too bad either:

[​IMG]

14. Restless28

Restless28

Nice review MtBaldy. All I see here is the 10, but I want to look for QC. I'm a Laphroaig junkie, lol.

15. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Ouch, got my last bottle of 18 a few months ago for under $70....

16. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Thanks. The 10 was my first Laphroaig and my first reaction was, "Whoa! This is a serious scotch!" I wasn't sure about all the peat and iodine. My wife rarely drinks scotch but she tried it. Her reaction was, "It has an after taste of rotting fish!" Not very complimentary. I found myself going back to it night after night. By the time the bottle was gone I was hooked.

17. Krigloch

Krigloch BACONEER

hell yeah, I need to try that Triple
    I still have an unopened bottle of Cask Strength

18. LandRover

LandRover

I got the "try some good scotch" bug about 2-1/2 years ago. I went to a very nice upscale restaurant in the next town over and the bartender was gracious enough to let me have a wee sip of seven different scotches. Three Highlands (Glenmorangie, The Macallan and Dalwhinnie), a Lowland (Auchentoshan), two Islay (Ardbeg and Laphroaig) and some Isle of Skye (Talisker).

All were exquisite (my palette had been Jack Daniel's black label) but the Islay's really grabbed me by the head and screamed my name. Man, this is some seriously intense malt!

The Ardbeg particularly stood out; it was the Corryvrecken and it's amazing. So much so that I went to Total Wines that same weekend and spent serious dosh on eleven bottles of assorted scotch's. Mostly Islay and Campbeltown (Springbank 10 year old is phenomenal).

Here I am 2.5 years later with a liquor closet to rival all but the most discerning establishments, and I'm enjoying an amazing and delicious journey.

Someone mentioned Ralphy; look him up on YouTube and he'll give you some fantastic and inciteful information. The man knows his stuff.

Thank you for starting an outstanding thread! :rock:

19. Krigloch

Krigloch BACONEER

nice!
    we need a post pics of your whisky collection thread