close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

LAPD SIS and Glock 21

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by specop, Dec 18, 2002.

1. specop

specop

I met a friend of mine yesterday, who works out of the LAPD's detective support division. She told me that the elite S.I.S detectives are authorized to carry and have been carrying Glock 21 .45cal pistols. I know the SIS detectives have broad discretion from their C.O on what they can carry; such as shortened Scattergun Tech shotguns, M-4's and MP-5s. But I find it very strange that LAPD (very anal on duty pistol issues) would allow any of their officers to carry a Glock 21. Can anyone verify this? If it is verified, I think it's a big boost for us Glock maniacs. Keep in mind that LAPD SWAT went to the Kimber Custom Classic II. Wouldn't it be cool if the SIS did go to Glock 21's? Thanks for any info.

2. agtman

agtman 10mm Spartiate

Well, apparently LAPD officers are authorized to carry a self-purchased S&W 4506 (upon qualification), if they don't want the Department-issued 9mm Beretta.

So approval for SIS Detectives to carry a G-21 wouldn't surprise me a bit. It only confirms LE's continuing movement away from the 9mm.

3. 10-Ring

10-Ring

I thought LAPD guidelines req'd an external safety on their duty guns...that's why the move to 4506, 8045, USP 45 and for SWAT the 1911. Would be nice if someone could confirm this...