LAPD PAT not everyone was compleately prepared...

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by repoman1984, Feb 23, 2010.

1. repoman1984

repoman1984 under the pully

I've been in the hiring process for a while now and just this weekend was given my PAT along with other LAPD hopefuls. The test is VERY mild compared to other departments a 2 minute ride on a resistance stationary bike a side step step timed test for agility and a cable pull device for general strength measurement. Only 2 minutes after the bike test one of the applicants slumps the floor against a wall and complained "I think I'm gonna black out" a few minutes later the rest of us are shooting the bull outside waiting for our pass/fail, I passed :supergrin: although I really should be to proud as he (the fainting applicant) comes out just as the results are handed back and receives a PASS as well...:faint:If I make it I just hope I get a different partner after my field training is done.

2. CanIhaveGasCash

CanIhaveGasCash

Be glad that there is a PAT, the department I'm working for has no fitness standards whatsoever. I liked going to PAT's when I was job hunting, just to watch all the people that couldn't do simple things like jump a 6 foot wall, or run 440 yards.Good luck with the rest of the process.

3. Icemanx13

Icemanx13 Señior Member

When the guy in my group from the Army said "that bike was no joke" I didn't feel so bad anymore. But blacking out? No one was anywhere close to that. Let's just hope the city has enough money for academy classes though... :whistling:

4. blueiron

blueiron

I have seen people lose consciousness because they stressed out over university final exams.

5. Trigger Finger

Trigger Finger

All this is, is to verify that you minimally qualified for the academy. There they run you to the bone and teach you combat wreslin and advanced ninjutso.

Well at least they run you to the bone!! Good Luck. :cool:

6. ctaggart

ctaggart

Bicycle ride eh?
    Here's the requirements I had to meet. MPOETC standards.

300 meter spring: under 56 seconds
    Bench press, 1 rep: body weight x 1.06
    Sit ups: 40 in under 60 seconds
    1.5 mile run: under 11:58

This test is for males between the ages of 20-29.

7. LAWDOGKMS

LAWDOGKMS

Here are my requirement that I have to pass twice a year...and have for the last 10 years.

For that matter, these were the same requirements I had twice a year when in the Navy for 10 years until 1998, so technically (with a 2 yr break), I've done the same test for the last 20 years:

These are the minimum requirements:...

Situps: 36 (1 min)
    Pushups: 27 (1 min)
    1.5 Mile Run: 12:51

What I shoot for and manage to pull off twice a year up to age 40 now, without killing myself to do it is the same every fit test:

Situps: 50 (1 min)
    Pushups: 50 (1 min)
    1.5 Mile Run: "under 12:00 mins"

I don't think these are very stringent requirements, and anyone in "reasonable shape" should be able to pull these off repeatedly, not just at entrance on duty..

My best ever fit test was when I was trying out for EOD Teams in the Navy, did these back to back with no break (meaning climbed out of the pool into the situp position) etc... still remember my times and numbers:

500 yd swim: 10:30
    Situps: 62 (1 min)
    Pushups: 75 (1 min)
    Pullups: 17
    1.5 Mile Run: 10:30 (funny, got the exact same time as the swim)

And...I wasn't even close to the fastest guy trying out that day...

If I can just keep my current scores into my 50's I'll be satisfied with myself...

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  8. ugly8604

ugly8604

They probably dont care because they are about to **** can all of the recruits in the academy anyways.

9. silverado_mick

silverado_mick

Good thing most angencies around here elect to give the "old" test consisting of window climb, 1/4 mile sprint, trigger pull, body drag, and stretcher carry.

I met MPOETC standards easily in the academy after 6 years in the Corps, but after three years pushing a radio car around "part-time" (60 hours a week I mean) and not getting much excercise, I'd be hard pressed to pass anything but the sprint and the crunches.

10. mallcop

mallcop GOTOD #70

I'm on the East Coast and will retire in about 4 years, Hell Yah!!! Times have certainly changed since I first strapped on my first M10 S&W stocked with 160 GR RN lead pills and look forward to relaxing a tad bit on the front porch. One of my fondest memories was working during a period when you could carry whatever you qualified with and packed a street tuned, Series 70 Colt NM in 45 (By-God) ACP. I hope all you y'all stay safe and learn to listen to the "Old-Guy" that doesn't give a dam about working traffic anymore, but know how to stay alive..........

11. ateamer

ateamer NRA4EVR

The test I took back in '88 was something like:
    -Run 50 yards to six foot wall and climb over the wall.
    -Run about 10 yards.
    -Go over a hurdle (two feet), under a hurdle and over another, covering about 15-20 yards.
    -Walk a balance beam.
    -Drag a 165-pound dummy and set it on a two-foot platform.
    Two minute time limit, 10-second penalty for each hurdle touched.

12. Droanx

Droanx

The minimum requirements for my PAT that I did recently were cake.

Complete a 1.5 mile run in 18 minutes or less
    Complete at least 15 push-ups in one minute
    Complete at least 25 sit-ups in one minute
    Leap vertically at least 12 inches above their reach
    Run 300 meters in 75 seconds or less

Six months ago when I first applied and was in the worst shape of my life I went for a 1.5 mile jog. I was coughing up my lungs and still made it under 18 minutes. They also had a swimming requirement but can't find it. Basically, I had to swim a distance, dive and pick up a 40 pound weight and lug it to the side of the pool.

I find out tomorrow if they hire me.

13. op2k

op2k

repoman, based on your description of the other applicant your future coworkers will loathe when he shows up on scenes and wonder how in the hell he got hired in the first place. Mark my words, this person will become your supervisor, lol!!!

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Our PAT when I had to do it:

Dummy drag (165 pounds): Sprint 10 yards to the dummy, drag it back
    Solid 6' wall: Short run (5 yards) & get over the wall
    Chain link fence: Short run (5 yards) & get over the fence
    Obstacle course: Zig-zags, 2 pommel-horse leaps, tire steppin (like the NFL), monkey bars, and some other **** I don't remember anymore
    Run: 1.5 miles in 13 minutes

LAPD (as I remember):

Stationary bicycle ride (2 minutes at no real set speed)
    Balance board (wooden dowel under a plank, you stand on it and just don't fall off for 10 seconds or something like that)

Can't really remember if LAPD did anything else at the Temple personnel office cuz they really didn't have much space to do anything anyway. Probably not.

15. Morris

Morris CLM

Graduated cooper test for the academy up here.

16. DssG19

DssG19 Millennium Member

Go apply at the sheriffs dept. If you get hired you're more than likely gonna get laid off. You're gonna start at a 30% paycut from a few months ago. LAPD is not a good place to work.

17. repoman1984

repoman1984 under the pully

Last I heard they weren't hiring, why is LAPD not a good place to work?

18. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

I don't care how long it takes them to run a mile-and-a-half or how many push-ups they can do. Let me see them write a detailed and coherent report, talk themselves out of a fight, and show a rape victim some compassion.

19. Angel King

Angel King

When I joined the Sheriff's dep., we had to run approx. 500 yards timed. Push a car so many feet, dry fire a glock so many times with each hand plus the clearing of the 6 ft wall and a 160lb dummy drag.

I think it's still the same for us but I'm not sure.

Plus, IMHO, don't make LAPD your first choice. I know many ex LAPD guys who told horror stories of how the department doesn't back thier officers when the chips are down and how unhappy a lot of guys are there.

Good luck nevertheless.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  20. fastbolt

fastbolt

As I recall, the physical agility test I took included the standard 6' solid wall climb and a 12-minute 1 1/2 mile run. I think there was a dummy drag after running 50 yards or something. Don't really remember. I do know that it's changed quite a bit for new folks we hired over subsequent years. The academy physical requirements were more rigorous. It included some time 5 mile runs, I seem to remember, as well as shorter ones. I hate running for long distances. The farthest I ever had to run someone down while working was only a few blocks, anyway, and I can still run that far.

Just wait and see how long different folks bother to keep in that sort of physical condition after getting hired and completing an academy ...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010