LAPD NO OT

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by fx77, Jun 14, 2020.

1. fx77

fx77 CLM

1L26 likes this.
  2. fx77

fx77 CLM

3. deputy tom

deputy tom Gringo Viejo

4. 686 AR15 G17Fan

686 AR15 G17Fan

Good strategy from the city ? They know they can't simply dismantle/disband the police departments, so they create conditions which will make them self disbanding.

Ftttu, nursetim and cbetts1 like this.
  5. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

"Yes ma'am, I just found out where your kidnapped child is but it's 5pm and I'm off the clock now. Maybe she'll still be there in the morning."

6. RussP

RussP Super Moderator Staff Member Moderator

LAPD Tells Officers Who Worked Overtime During Riots, “Sorry, We Can’t Pay You”

While many who participated in “protests” in Los Angeles over the last few weeks are probably being paid to stay home and not work, thousands of Los Angeles Police Department officers have put in more than a hundred hours of tactical alert overtime each and are now being told they won’t be paid for it.

LAPD Chief Michel Moore sent an email June 12 to “Department Personnel,” a copy of which was obtained by RedState, informing them that “During this extraordinary time…the Department has expended more than $40 million in overtime expenses,” exceeding the budgetary reserve, and that “as of June 7, 2020…compensation for overtime shall be in the form of time at the appropriate rate.”

The Department first issued a tactical alert May 27, when a group of protesters closed down the 101 Freeway in downtown Los Angeles. Moore ordered a full mobilization of the department’s sworn members on June 1 to quell the surging violence and looting, and since that time officers have worked up to 36-hour shifts with no regular days off and all vacation days canceled. Many officers have racked up more than 100 hours of overtime since May 27.​

1L26 likes this.
  7. DNA

DNA

Sounds like they're gonna have to use comp time. The original idea of comp time for LAPD was if you worked OT, you would be able to bank the hours and take PTO at a later date at your choosing to my understanding.

Now it sounds like all the OT they did during the recent protests will be counted as comp time and when you max out your comp time, you're forced to take comp time at the discretion of the department and their minimums. Meaning, you'll take time off when we feel you can not when you want to (you could have split days, come in once a week etc instead of a continuous block of time).

Sucks to be them.

Dan

CAcop likes this.
  8. HALO51

HALO51

I’m sure all the OT money has been diverted to MASS TRANSIT account to transport thugs from one side of town to the other.

nursetim likes this.
  9. ChiefWPD

ChiefWPD

Call my lawyer! :frown:

Ross-in-Pa and newglocker10mm like this.
  10. Current Resident

Current Resident

11. slym2none

slym2none

Isn't this illegal?

DonGlock26 likes this.
  12. ReaPer105

ReaPer105

I always liked having some comp time in the bank. But that was my choice, this is BS. Demand they work then defund them so they can't pay for it? I bet lawyers will get involved.

Mumblzthemnstr likes this.
  13. fx77

fx77 CLM

My buddy in Homeland Sec was detailed to DC
    No OT He was told It was not "regularly scheduled" and no nite differential given either

14. redrick

redrick

I worked for a company ( for a short time ) and they would not pay you after 8 hrs. . This was running refrigeration service calls . So you never knew how long it would take you to fix a problem . They would bill the customer , but not pay me . They said we do comp time . I told them that I come to work everyday and work for money and not time off . I told them that I would finish a call , but I would not go on another call after my 8 hrs. worked . They also wanted me to be on call on some weekends , without any money or comp time if I didn’t have a call . I told them that I would not sit home all weekend for nothing . They didn’t fire me and as soon as I could , I found another job . They wanted to know why I left . I somewhat fixed things for my replacement . Their hourly pay increased and they started paying overtime . But the benefits still are bad . They can’t find qualified people to work for them .

I found a job that I could retire on and draw a pension .

If it wasn’t for retirement benefits I bet the police officers would be leaving their jobs like a house on fire .

ede, DonGlock26 and Newcop761 like this.
  15. walke121

walke121

But yet they pass a bill to see about paying reparations. I don’t think it will ever get to the point to hand out $$$ but I’m guessing the will waste a lot more than $40m doing a study...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I lived in L.A. back in the sixties when they had a Republican mayor (Sam Yorty) and a two-party city council and board of Supervisors and a police force that was independent of the city council with a law-and order chief of police (William H Parker) and an outstanding Sheriff, Peter Pitchess.

And L.A was a great place to live back then and throughout the years I had close family friends both in the LAPD and the Sheriff's department.

Then Tom Bradley became mayor and the city council became a one-party Leftist dictatorship and control of the police department was turned over to the city council and a series of police chiefs who were nothing more than politicians took over the LAPD and the Sheriff's department suffered a similar fate.

Liberalism destroys everything it touches. I saw the decline of that city from the sixties to the 90's and left there in 1998.

Now things are even worse today.

Nestor, DonGlock26, Ftttu and 4 others like this.
  17. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

Yeah, they will sue and get the money if its in violation of the contract.

Next time they will have 1,000 guys looking for tossed cheeseburgers to slip on.

slym2none likes this.
  18. fla2760

fla2760

SAR on the air?

19. Glocker Rob

Glocker Rob

This is confirmed, but not as draconian as it sounds.

A little background......the city of LA has 28 day “deployment periods”. The last DP ended on 6/6 at 11:59 pm.

So. Everything during this DP is under this new rule. Everything before is the old rule. So the majority of the riot OT will got paid in cash.

Two.....the new fiscal year begins July 1. After that, we get budgeted for the next years OT. So, presumably, the old rules go back into effect.

Also, to my understanding is that this doesn’t effect the department’s “FLSA limit.” Again, some background....after the 92 riots, the city refused to pay OT for the hours worked during the riot. A group of officers/firefighters (I think) sued and a federal court order went into effect. In a DP, depending on our shift, we work anywhere between 152 to 156 hours. After 171 hours worked in a DP, by FEDERAL court order, all OT has to be paid in cash. It has always been that way, even during the 08 financial crisis where the OT budget was zero.

Four.....the majority of our (or at least my) OT is paid for by federal/state/local grants. Again, these grants are per fiscal year (except one, but I won’t go too far into the weeds on the particulars). They budget these grants into DP dollar amounts, and break them up so we don’t burn through it all in a few months. This year, we still have a ton of grant money left, because a bunch of details have been cancelled due to COVID.

As a side note, and I could be wrong, but the “defunding” thing is nothing but talk. Mayor mccheese has a program called “vision zero”. In short, it was his program to reduce traffic fatalities to zero. (Remember the “road diet” fiasco where traffic lanes were converted to bike lanes? Vision Zero.) The LAPD vision zero budget? Exactly the amount proposed to be cut from the budget. All vision zero was OT. Also as an interesting side note, Nury Martinez (the councilwoman trying to cut the department budget) had, until recently, had been using her own slush fund money to fund department OT details. So much that they were having problems spending all of it.

Does it suck that we don’t have OT if we’re extended EOW? Yeah, but I don’t count on my OT to pay bills. My EOW OT usually goes in my time bank anyway, so no big deal.

So in short, we have WAY more problems going right now then OT which may come back in two or so weeks, maybe......

20. CAcop

CAcop

That can do it. In the end it will cost them more.

Let's say a top step LAPD officer's OT rate pre tax is $75/ hour. They give it to him as comp that he can never take off. So in 10 years when he punches out and gets it cashed out it is $100/hour.

I predict there will be massive amounts of retirements and laterals within the next few years. All of them will get that OT cashed out.

My city put a cap on out comp at 100 hours. We wanted 120. The city did not want an extra week's worth of pay to cash out. I was near max when I retired out and it was like an extra paycheck. My sick time even at 1/3 rate and taxed was like 6 paychecks after taxes. Holiday time was another paycheck worth.

SJPD pretty much only pays comp time and they can't take time off they are so short so they get about a years worth of pay when they retire.

SAR and DonGlock26 like this.