LAPD investigates ‘blue flu’ claims after officers call in sick over July 4 holiday

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by ronduke, Jul 9, 2020.

1. ronduke

ronduke

2. thewitt

thewitt

It is the new flu season after all.

Lockback likes this.

3. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

If they treated like dirt, what does the city leadership expect?

Lockback and larry_minn like this.
  4. Bradley T

Bradley T

I sincerely hope they feel better soon!

5. SAR

SAR CLM

The only two people who called in on my watch were down with Covid-19 so I decided to give them a pass. I made their partners come to work though.

6. SAR

SAR CLM

You know how they are treated from first hand experience?

Ohio Cop likes this.
  7. NewYorker

NewYorker

He did say "if"

8. merlynusn

merlynusn

Wouldn’t the partners have to quarantine along with anyone they’ve been in contact with?

Sfaql, CAcop and cbetts1 like this.
  9. Bomber Nav

Bomber Nav

Of course not! But...
    1. I did say "if"
    2. I do know LEOs are getting hammered all over the country with bad press from the MSM and people second guessing every action, every shooting, etc. Surely you must be aware of this!
    3. I also know from experience (as a field grade officer) it's human nature to take just so much before one gets some kind of reaction. I would think law enforcement officers would be put off by a lot of what is going on in this country right now.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    FireMedic-50 and slym2none like this.
  10. blueiron

blueiron

Government grants sick time as a term of employment. I never understood why certain supervisors/managers acted like it came out of their retirement account or took it personally when employees took sick time.

Some people never called in sick and tended to give others communicable respiratory illnesses. Productivity dropped as a result. Some people called in sick at least several times monthly and we never really noticed a drop off in productivity.

Government isn't exactly known as the paragon of productive effort.

Sfaql, Lockback, ruffhunter and 9 others like this.
  11. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    If the rank and file guys feel like the agency and the city has their back, why would they bang out enmasse ( assuming they aren't all actually ill) ?

Sharkey, Bomber Nav and sas-G19 like this.
  12. CAcop

CAcop

A guy came in sick to work and got an attaboy. The next week we had three people out sick. That was half our shift. Guess who had to come in with a doctor's note?

It will be like that until the end of time.

larry_minn and blueiron like this.
  13. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Only if they’re symptomatic..

SAR likes this.
  14. blueiron

blueiron

Interesting.

When I was working in our Courts, anyone who came within contact of someone with a confirmed case of COVID was sent home and into quarantine. We had a judge come down with it, the bailiff and 2 judicial assistants were sent home. Notices were sent to defense/prosecution counsels, the witnesses, and the court reporter.

When the MCSO sergeant in charge of court security got COVID and subsequently died, a bunch of his deputies got sent into quarantine. MCSO is now having a heck of a time filling the slots.

15. FiremanMike

FiremanMike Way too busy

Those were the early cdc guidelines which have since evolved.. Everyone was freaking out because no one had the manpower to cover the predictable snowball that happens when “anyone who’s exposed” gets quarantined for 14 days..

Ranger357 and CAcop like this.
  16. blueiron

blueiron

The CDC may have evolved. My employer didn't.

FiremanMike likes this.
  17. SAR

SAR CLM

What I was “hinting” at was that OP’s source, “The LA Times” is anything but a friend of law enforcement and just loves to put a spin on things to agitate the left. There was a higher than normal sick rate, but a lot of the absences can be attributed to Covid-19. There was actually very little evidence of officers calling in with “mystery illnesses.”

The press likes to make people think that morale is low and that officers are on the verge of quitting, but the real truth is that most are not blaming the Department management for what they know is “society lashing out” at law enforcement in general. They are actively out putting bad guys in jail and this weekend was a banner weekend for observational police work including putting scores of bad guys in jail off of Ped stops and Car stops.

While it is true that morale in some Departments is way down, I can tell you from first hand experience that it’s far from that in a particular Department on the West Coast.

ateamer likes this.
  18. SAR

SAR CLM

No. As was already explained, such draconian measures would have a snowball effect and quickly decimate the patrol work force. I understand precautions in rural or other areas where each suspected case of Covid-19 might be treated a lot more seriously in order to prevent an outbreak, but in Los Angeles, the outbreak is already here. If we had to quarantine, might as well just quarantine the entire city. So like someone else said, unless anyone is symptomatic, they are still coming to work. No, we are not forcing people to “suck it up” and come to work if their symptoms are just minor... If they show any symptoms at all, we are expecting them to go to a doctor and/or get tested. It’s just that we have learned through time that just because a co-worker has tested positive, it doesn’t mean that everyone around them is going to get sick. As a matter of fact, to date, none of the partners of our sick officers have contracted Covid-19, even after having worked one or two full shifts in the same car with them.

19. SAR

SAR CLM

That’s just it. Who says that officers “banged out” enmasse? Oh yes, the liberal media did.

20. ranger1968

ranger1968

Wayyyyyy down South, shootin' stuff and Jeeping!
    So that is false?

The gang unit guys in Foothill, Southeast, and Southwest all came to work on the dates in question?